More than £1m of further flood defence work will be carried out in Todmorden later this year to increase the town’s protection against flooding.
As the country continues to be battered by wet and windy weather, Floods Minister Dan Rogerson has announced 55 schemes - including two in Todmorden - on which work will be begin in 2014.
Mr Rogerson said: “More money than ever before is being invested in flood defences and the new schemes will give greater security to thousands of homes and businesses that have previously feared flooding.”
The work in Todmorden, scheduled to start on September 1, will focus on the Cross Stone Road area and land at Jumble Hole Clough in Eastwood, near the border with Hebden Bridge.
It aims to increase protection to 60 properties in the two areas.
The news has been welcomed by councillors, businesses and residents.
Mayor of Todmorden Coun Jayne Booth said: “We are reading more and more about the impact of potential climate change and the risk of flooding.
“I’m really happy to hear that we are going to get the next phase of flood work in our area to help alleviate any potential flood risk in the future.”
Businessman Abid Hussain, of Hussain Brothers on Halifax Road, said: “I’m glad about it.
“Hopefully it will save businesses and homes from flooding and help to bring insurance premiums down.”
The Environment Agency and Calderdale Council have been allocated up to £3m for flood defence schemes across the Calder Valley in 2014/15.
The money comes from a central Government grant, the Yorkshire Flood and Coastal Defence Committee and up to £1m from Calderdale Council.
The money will be invested in ten schemes across Calderdale that will reduce the risk of flooding to more than 450 residential properties, as well as businesses and infrastructure.
The schemes will tackle flooding from rivers, surface run-off and canals.
Outline designs for the schemes are currently being prepared and public consultations will be held in March.
The schemes will then be subject to final approvals, detailed design and planning. Construction is scheduled to start later this year.
Coun Barry Collins, Calderdale Council’s cabinet member for economy and environment, said: “Calderdale Council and the Environment Agency are completely committed to support for flood prevention works within the borough.
“The 2014/15 projects are part of the Calder Valley flood prevention plan, which is designed to help local people and businesses become more flood resilient.”
In addition to the ten schemes, the Environment Agency and Calderdale Council are developing plans and seeking funding for larger flood protection works in Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd.
They are also working with local voluntary groups to promote river stewardship and improve the management of rivers.