Calderdale firms are fined combined £25k over safety breached

editorial image

Two Calderdale firms have been fined a combined total of £25,000 for installing and operating gas fired tumble driers at student hall of residence while not Gas Safe Registered.

York Magistrates’ heard how in September 2012, Direct Laundry Installations Ltd was contracted by Circuit Laundrette Services Ltd to install gas laundry equipment, but were not at the time registered with Gas Safe Register. The work was not done correctly as flues weren’t in a safe position. Direct Laundry Installations Ltd, of Halifax, pleaded guilty to Section 3(3) and 27(5) of the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations and was fined £12,000 with £935 costs. Circuit Laundrette Services Ltd, of Halifax Lane, Ripponden, pleaded guilty to Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and was fined £13,000 with £974 costs.

After the hearing HSE inspector Julian Franklin said: “This case arose because Circuit failed to follow their own normal commissioning procedures, resulting in a dangerous installation being put into use. Luckily none of the students in the affected blocks suffered any health effects but it could have been fatal.”