A FORMER Todmorden couple have celebrated their diamond wedding.
Manchester born, Mr and Mrs Clifford and Peggy Marshall grew up and spent their formative years just a few miles apart in Walsden and Cornholme but didn’t meet until 1945 when Clifford was home on leave from the Royal Marines with a broken leg.
They met again at a Farmer’s Ball on New Year’s Eve, 1947, and were married at Shore Baptist Church on July 14, 1951.
Peggy (nee Banks), 80, had trained as a secretary at Burnley Business College and was working in the office at Nuttalls Cotton Mill, Lineholme mill, Lydgate, Burnley Road. Clifford, now 84, had worked in a laboratory at Turner and Newall’s asbestos factory in Rochdale and also went to Rochdale and Burnley Technical Colleges. They lived for a while with Peggy’s parents in Brighton Terrace, Cornholme, but they soon moved to set up their first home together in Chorley, Lancs, where Clifford worked at the Royal Ordnance Factory.
In 1962 they eventually moved to Verwood, Dorset, where they still live, Clifford working as a government scientist for the Ministry of Defence at West Moors Army camp.
They marked their special occasion with their family - they have four children and six grandchildren - at Bentley’s Restaurant, Dudsbury Golf Club near Ferndown in Dorset.
Peggy and Clifford have always been keen followers of news from Todmorden and district and kept in touch with old friends and relatives making regular visits back home for many years. Today they are still subscribers to the Todmorden News.
They attribute their success to an active life enjoying caravan holidays, band concerts and dog walking together.