Grandmother’s thanks to grand-daughter who saved her life

Mrs Hannelore Uttley, of Todmorden, with a photograph of her eight-year-old grand-daughter Evie, whose alertness saved her life
Mrs Hannelore Uttley, of Todmorden, with a photograph of her eight-year-old grand-daughter Evie, whose alertness saved her life

A grandmother has thanked her young grand-daughter for saving her life after she suffered a brain haemorrhage.

Mrs Hannelore Uttley is now back home in Todmorden recovering from the injury after a three and a half hour operation and six weeks in hospital.

She says she owes her life to her grand-daughter Evie, the eight-year-old’s presence of mind and speedy response being crucial to summoning help.

Mrs Uttley, who is 73, had suffered a fall earlier in the evening of February 27, and in the early hours of the following morning fell into the room in which Evie and her sister, four-year-old Georgia, were sleeping and collpased into a child’s chair.

Evie awoke and quickly sensing something was not right woke her mother and father, Andrea and Michael, raising the alarm.

“If she had thought I was asleep, I would have died.

“But she didn’t and saved my life. I feel so grateful to her,” said Mrs Uttley.

The day had begun with Mrs Uttley driving Georgia from Todmorden back to her parents’ home in Lothersdale, near Skipton, staying with both children for the day while their parents left for college and work.

About eight o’clock that evening she went out to her car to get a bottle of water, slipped and fell straight onto her face, banging her head. She remembers thinking her head really hurt and Mrs Uttley’s daughter said she was to stay the night.

Mrs Uttley said she was sick but although feeling dazed from her fall, seemed to be all right. After that she could not remember anything but around 3am got up and went into her grandaughter’s bedroom, fell, got up again and fell into a child’s chair.

Evie awoke and quickly raised the alarm. Mrs Uttley’s daughter and son-in-law called the emergency services and a brain scan at Airedale Hospital, Bradford, showed she had started with a brain haemorrhage.

She was transferred to Leeds Royal Infirmary that night where she underwent her operation and cannot recall anything for three weeks afterwards, being hospitalised for six.

At school the following morning, an upset Evie was applauded by her teachers and classmates when they were told what she had done, and Mrs Uttley, with lots of help from husband Bob and her family, says she is now making a good recovery. It is uncertain whether the haemorrhage came before her fall, but she thinks the fall caused the haemorrhage.

“Evie is quiet quiet and she’s not bragging about this. But she literally saved my life,” said Mrs Uttley.