Craig misses out but predecessor gets job
Craig Whittaker, the Calder Valley Conservative MP, missed out on a place in last week’s Cabinet re-shuffle.
The former Calderdale Council education spokesman was elected to the Commons in 2010 and at Westminster he sits on the Education Select Committee.
But his political predecessor Elizabeth Truss, who only just failed to become a Calderdale MP in 2005, has been promoted to the position of education minister with responsibility for nursery provision and child care.
She was the Conservative candidate for the Calder Valley in 2005, paving the way for Craig Whittaker’s election.
- Crews called to house fire in Calder Valley
- Cheers at the Top Brink as it is voted pub of the year
- Former Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher was a “very nice lady” who paved the way for women, says councillor
- Cruel sting as lack of dock leaves leads to world championships being cancelled
- Running and walking both good for your heart
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Halifax
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 8 C
Wind Speed: 24 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 5 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 9 mph
Wind direction: North