Firefighters rescued a pensioner trapped in an upstairs bedroom of a house that was on fire in Halifax this morning (Friday).
Police are treating the incident, which happened at a house on Pellon New Road, as arson.
The 66-year-old male occupant made a phone call to raise the alarm just before 3.15am when he was trapped in the first floor bedroom of the property, with smoke billowing through the house.
Police officers tried to enter the house, but hindered by thick smoke and had to wait for firemen to arrive.
Two fireman wearing breathing apparatus entered the house through the front door and as they went to locate the occupant, the remaining crews from Halifax, Illingworth and Brighouse managed to extinguish the fire,
The man was then lead to safety down the stairs.
He suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital.
Police are treating the incident as arson and have issued a witness appeal.
Detective Inspector Chris Wood from Calderdale CID, said: “Officers arrived and made attempts to rescue the man but were unable to do so due to the levels of smoke.
“Thankfully the Fire and Rescue Service were able to rescue him and he suffered no serious injury.
“Enquiries into the incident remain ongoing but we are currently investigating it as a case of arson. I am appealing for any witnesses to the incident or anyone who saw anything suspicious to come forward and tell us so we can investigate this fully.”
Police are outside the property this morning (Friday).
Neighbour Sarah Collinge said: “When I came out in the morning the fire was out and I didn’t see it.
“I know there was a fire but I didn’t hear anything in my house.”
The front door of the property was damaged, and there was also smoke damage in the upstairs of the property
Fire crews used two hose reels, four breathing apparatus and a high powered fan to clear the house of smoke.
Any witnesses are asked to contact Calderdale CID on 101.