OUR eyes and ears will have been assailed with Christmas films and songs in the weeks leading up to the festive period.
So for a little fun, try your hand at our Christmas quiz and see what you may remember of them! Answers at the foot of the last column.
1. James Stewart is better known for the western films he appeared in, but he starred in a seasonal classic made in 1946 and still shown annually. Was it: a) It’s A Wonderful Land b) It’s A Wonderful Life or c) It’s A Womderful Role.
2. Slade’s Merry Christmas Everybody was the last of four singles the glam rock stars placed in the top two chart positions in 1973. Cum On Feel The Noize and Skweeze Me Pleeze Me were also number ones but which one was the number 2 smash? a) My Friend Sid b) My Friend Stan or c) My Friend Norm.
3. Home Alone was a box office smash on its 1990 release, telling the story of a boy who was mistakenly left “home alone” on Christmas Eve while his family went on vacation. Who played him? a) Macauley Culkin b) Roddy McDowell or c) Richie Rich?
4. Girl group the Spice Girls bowed out of their original career with the third of three successive Christmas number 1s in 1998. Which track was it? a) Too Much b) Goodbye or c) 2 Become 1?
5. Alastair Sim played Ebeneezer Scrooge twice on film, reprising the role voicing the character in a 1971 animated film. He had previously taken the role in which 1951 film? a) A Christmas Carol b) Scrooge or c) Spirits In The Night.
6.The Pogues’ Fairytale Of New York saw lead singer Shane MacGowan duetting with which female singer? a) Kirsty MacColl b) Sheena Easton or c) Tracey Ullman.
7. An American comedy outfit produced a number of films starring Chevy Chase as the head of the supremely unlucky Griswald family, including Christmas Vacation - but whose? a) Monty Python’s b) Galton and Simpson’s or c) National Lampoon’s?
8. What did Westlife say at Christmas 1999? a) I Have A Vision b) I Have A Dream or c) I Have A Revelation.
9. Which British film actor starred alongside Kermit, Miss Piggy and company in the 1992 film A Muppet Christmas Carol? a) Terence Stamp b) Michael Caine or c) Sean Connery.
10. Surprisingly, punk rock provided a number of Chistmas ditties, including a sprightly romp by the Damned in 1979. Was it: a) Merry Christmas (I Don’t Want To Fight Tonight) b) Merry Christmas Baby or c) There Ain’t No Sanity Clause?
11. Bill Nighy played a washed-up rock star in the seasonally-set Love Actually in 2003. Who played the role of Prime Minister in the same film? a) Martin Freeman b) Rowan Atkinson or c) Hugh Grant.
12. An unlikely pairing teamed up to record the Christmas hit Peace On Earth/Little Drummer Boy. Who were the duo? a) Andy Williams and Johnny Rotten b) Dean Martin and Bob Dylan or c) Bing Crosby and David Bowie.
13. Edmund Gwenn played Kris Kingle/Father Christmas in 1947’s Miracle On 34th Street. Who played the role in the 1994 re-make? a) Richard Attenborough b) David Attenborough or c) David Dimbleby?
14. In the days when the biggest Christmas hits sold a million, Boney M had a monster hit with which track in 1978? a) Little Drummer Boy b) Mary’s Boy Child or c) Rivers of Babylon.
15. Bing Crosby’s White Christmas might just be the best known Christmas song of all time. But from which film was it originally from? a) White Christmas b) Holiday Inn or c) The Road To Morrocco?
Answers (no peeking now!) - 1-b; 2-b; 3-a; 4-b; 5-b; 6-a; 7-c; 8-b; 9-b; 10-c; 11-c; 12-c; 13-a; 14-b; 15-b.