Police rescue man from burning flat

PC Greg Peel (left) and PC Ryan Stockton, who rescued a man from a burning building in Todmorden, with help from their colleague PC Angela Lister
PC Greg Peel (left) and PC Ryan Stockton, who rescued a man from a burning building in Todmorden, with help from their colleague PC Angela Lister

THREE heroic police officers went well beyond the line of duty to protect the public.

PCs Ryan Stockton, Greg Peel and Angela Lister rescued a man from a burning building after being flagged down by his two flat friends.

The incident happened at a property on School Lane, Todmorden, at 3.10am on Saturday when the officers were on their final patrol of the night.

PC Stockton said: “Our immediate concern was for making sure there was no one still in the property, so the three of us went in and it was three quarters thick with smoke.

“We could see the kitchen was on fire and the flames had gone up the wall and onto the ceiling.

“We had been told that there could still be a lad in there and even though we are not fire officers we have a duty to save lives whenever possible.

“We saw a foot sticking out from the sofa in the living room and as we got closer there was a lad led down asleep.

“We managed to drag him out of the property and we went back in to make sure there was no one else in there.

“We then got all three lads into the back of the car and waited for the fire service.

“It was nice to see the fire crews and they were equally as concerned about us as they were for the lads.”

The actions of the officers were praised by Inspector Dave Browning, of the upper Valley Neighbourhood Policing Team, who also gave them credit for helping to ensure that Todmorden is the safest place in Calderdale.

“I am very proud of my officers and their heroic actions,” he said. “They put their own lives at risk to help save the life of another.”

Crews from Todmorden and Mytholmroyd attended the incident at the first floor flat, which was caused by a pan fire.

Todmorden Fire Station Watch Manager Geoff Shaw also praised the three officers for “doing a fantastic job”.

He also stressed the incident showed the importance of having a working smoke alarm.

“We are available to offer free fire safety checks for any residents who require them and we can also install working equipment,” he added.