Calder Valley clubs to be questioned on game’s future

Neil Myers
Neil Myers

The Calder Valley’s contingent of Halifax League clubs - Mytholmroyd, Booth, Old Town, Bridgeholme and Luddenden Foot - look likely to be invited to take part in a survey next year.

Local league chiefs want specific information from players in the Halifax League to back up a survey by the ECB.

League president David Normanton and secretary Neil Myers were at Headingley this week when the Yorkshire results from the review were revealed.

The ECB has been looking into reasons why players are being lost to the game.

The Halifax League was one of nine leagues in the county represented at Yorkshire CCC headquarters, where it was revealed that it was mainly players aged 19 to 29 who were turning their back on cricket.

Leagues have been asked to consider what they could do to make cricket more appealing, including perhaps playing shorter matches.

Myers said that there had been 3,000 responses to the ECB survey in Yorkshire and while that was a satisfactory number, there were 117,000 players in the county.

“The next step might be to conduct a survey of our own players, possible next year in the last week in May.”

Myers said that the Foster’s-backed Halifax League could then consider what changes might be appropriate for themselves.

The Sunday Section of the Halifax League has already taken some action.

At last Thursday’s AGM at Sowerby Bridge it was decided to reduce matches from 45 overs per side to 40 overs next season with a limit of nine overs per bowler (from 10).

Elland and Stones were re-elected after failing to fulfil two fixtures last season.