Tod must rally after batting ‘disaster’

editorial image

Todmorden CC skipper Andrew Sutcliffe was hugely disappointed with his side’s batting as they were shot out for 68 at Burnley on Sunday.

Their subsequent seven wicket defeat by the bottom team in the Lancashire League capped a miserable weekend for the Centre Vale side.

Tod had lost to the same opponents in the Worsley Cup 24 hours earlier and Nelson in the T20 on Friday evening.

Sutcliffe described Sunday’s game as a “disaster” and said the total was the team’s lowest since 2008.

“There are absolutely no excuses for the score,” he said. “They bowled well but far too many poor shots were played.”

Sutcliffe is hoping for a positive reaction when Tod go to Colne in the T20 on Friday and then host East Lancs in the league on Sunday.

Opening batsman Simon Newbitt returns and everyone is available.

Sutcliffe said: “It is now time to focus on the T20 competition and to improve our position in the league.

“We have eight big league games coming up to take us to the end of July.

“Five of these games are against sides in the bottom half of the league and if we play to our potential then we will be in a much healthier position.”

Zeshan Shoukhat top scored with 28 in the T20 but Sutcliffe felt a score of 96 was 20 short and visiting pro Ryan Canning (51 no) sealed a six-wicket win for the visitors.

Kristian Garland’s 79 at home to holders Burnley in the cup helped Tod to a useful 224 for eight after they had been five for two.

They were favourites half way through Burnley’s innings with five wickets but club chairman Michael Brown’s 74 not out was decisive.