- There will be dancing, Tai Chi, crafts and several other activities at the next Oak over 50s ‘Drop-in Friday’ at Central Methodist Church on April 15 from 10am until 3pm. Refreshments are available. Dru Yoga sessions are held at Roomfield House on Tuesdays at 2pm. For more information, call 01706 813969.
- St Peter’s Church, Walsden, will host ‘Right Royal Do’ on Saturday April 16 at 2.30pm to celebrate the forthcoming Royal Wedding. People are invited to come dressed up in wedding clothes (but not obligatory) for an afternoon of music, dancing and games. Admission is £1 for adults with accompanied children free, or 50p for unaccompanied children. Refreshments will be available.
- Mystery Tours SC and Ginger Taylor present ‘On The Border’ scooter rally and a Northern Soul and Motown night at Todmorden Cricket Club on Saturday April 16. The scooter rally will be held from 12.30pm until 5pm. Free admission. The Northern Soul and Motown night begins at 7pm and will feature Ginger Taylor, Eddie and guest DJs at the decks. Tickets priced £6 are available from the cricket club. For more information, contact Daz on 07729 563643.
- There will be live music from Angus Barclay at Barearts Studio Bar on Sunday April 17 from 6pm. For more information, visit www.barearts.com.
- Todmorden Choral Society and Todmorden Orchestra will join together to perform Handel’s ‘Samson’ at Todmorden Town Hall on Sunday April 17 at 7.30pm. The musicians will be joined by a team of five soloists. Tickets are available from Todmorden Tourist Information Centre and from choral society and orchestra members.
- The next Todmorden Walkabout will take place on Monday April 18, starting at 11am from the reception area at Todmorden Community College. New walkers are asked to arrive at 10.45am. For more information, contact walk leader Karen Andrews on 01706 819118.
- Calder Valley Lesbian Parents Group will meet at Upsy Daisy’s Soft Play Centre, Moderna Business Park, Mytholmroyd, on Friday April 15 from 10am until 12pm. Entry is £2.50 per child (under ones free). For more information, call 07704 568237.
- Calder Valley Steiner Education is holding a fundraising event at St John’s Steiner Centre, Cragg Vale, on Friday April 15 from 1-4pm. There will be food served by the kindergarten children and a stall at the cafe displaying photos and information about the project to build a nursery in Eastern Nepal.
- Northlight Art Studios Back Door open day on Friday April 15 will feature a talk by Joan Murray at 7.30pm. Visitors are invited to attend the event to meet other artists. Refreshments will be available. For more information, call 01422 843519.
- Hebden Bridge musician Des Horsfall’s tour to promote the Kuschty Rye album ‘A Good Gentleman’s Tonic’ stops off at the Trades Club on Friday April 15. His country rootsy rock is influenced by artists including Ronnie Lane and The Strawbs.
- The Trades Club walking weekend, featuring free guided walks around the Calder Valley followed by refreshments and music at the club, will run on Saturday and Sunday. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to book or request more information.
- There will be several special guests at the Country Club on Saturday April 16 from 9pm.
- On Sunday April 17 from 3pm, the Tannahill Weavers will perform pieces from their diverse repertoire which reflects the duality of Scotland’s musical heritage. This will be followed by the Hole Note Acoustic Club at 8pm. For more information, call 01422 845265 or visit www.tradesclub.info.
- Johnny Depp, Isla Fisher and Ray Winstone provide voices for characters in animated film ‘Rango’, which is showing at the Picture House from Saturday April 16. The story follows the transformative journey of Rango, a sheltered chameleon who accidentally winds up in the gritty, gun-slinging town of Dirt.
- Also showing in the coming week is ‘Animal Kingdom’. In the film, seventeen-year-old J moves in with his hitherto-estranged family under the watchful eye of his doting grandmother and her three criminal sons.
- ‘Archipelago’ tells the story of a family gathering on a remote island to say farewell to a relative preparing to leave for a year of voluntary service in Africa.
- In ‘Norwegian Wood’, a man must choose between his beautiful, introspective girlfriend and an outgoing, vivacious woman he has recently met. The film features music written by Radiohead’s Johnny Greenwood. For more information, call 01422 842807 or visit www.hbph.co.uk.
- The Easter Egg Trail at Gibson Mill opens on Saturday April 16. Visitors can attempt to solve a puzzle to win a chocolate egg. The trail is open daily from 11am until 4pm. For more information, call 01422 844518.
- Hebden Bridge Little Theatre presents ‘How the other half loves’ from April 18-23. The play, written by Alan Ayckbourn, follows the lives of three couples as they become entangled in a series of mind-boggling misunderstandings. Tickets are available from Innovation or by calling 01422 843907.
- The Unthanks’ UK tour finishes with a gig at the Picture House on Tuesday April 19 at 7.30pm. Mercury Music Prize nominated sisters Rachel and Becky Unthank will perform songs from their new album. Tickets are available from the Trades Club on 01422 845265 or via www.wegottickets.com. It will be followed by an after party at the Trades Club. Free entry for gig ticket holders.
- Events at Square Chapel in the coming week include a performance by Hassan Erraji and the MoRoccan Rollers on Friday April 15 and Hull Truck Theatre’s production of ‘Lady Chatterley’s Lover’ on Saturday April 16. For more information, contact the box office on 01422 349422 or visit www.squarechapel.co.uk.
- The Halifax and Calder Valley Multiple Sclerosis Society is holding a pig race at Halifax Bowling Club on Saturday April 16. For more information, call 01422 206692.
- The Calderdale Heritage Walks’ summer programme gets underway with ‘Minster to St Mark’s’ on Sunday April 17. Meet Iain Cameron by the Eureka car park entrance at 2.15pm.
- Halifax Choral Society will be joined by the North of England Classical Orchestra and four internationally renowned soloists to perform the St John Passion at Halifax Minster on Sunday April 17 at 7.30pm. Tickets priced £12 (concessions £10) are available from the Victoria Theatre box office on 01422 351158 or via www.victoriatheatre.co.uk.