Elderly woman hurt in house fire

AN elderly woman was taken to hospital with burns after a house fire on Tuesday.

Fire crews were called to the home on Stansfield Road, Todmorden, at 4.23pm where a pan of fat was on fire.

An 89-year-old woman had been preparing a meal for her 11-year-old grand-daughter when the blaze started.

She tried to put the fire out herself but suffered minor burns to her face and head. She was taken to Calderdale Royal Hospital for treatment and discharged the same night.

Firefighters are urging people not to leave cooking unattended as it poses a fire risk.

They have also issued safety advice on what to do in the event of a fire.

If a fire starts in the kitchen, turn off the power supply, if it safe, and close the door on the way out. Then ring 999.