Family to share in £1.9m payout after holiday from hell

Share this article

A family from the upper Calder Valley have won a share of a £1.9 million compensation payout after a holiday from hell.

Peter and Sharon Ward, of Burnley Road, Todmorden, jetted off to the Dominican Republic with their daughter Sarah and grand-daughter Bethany in 2007.

But their dream break at the four-star Bahia Principe Hotel to celebrate Peter’s birthday turned into a nightmare after outbreaks of salmonella and other serious stomach bugs.

The Ward family were among 400 holidaymakers whose trips were ruined at the hotel besieged by cockroaches and vermin.

Within days of their arrival they contracted acute gastro-enteritis, suffering agonising stomach cramps, sickness and diarrhoea.

Law firm Irwin Mitchell, based in Manchester, has now confirmed that the Wards and fellow guests who became ill are in line for damages.

The High Court was told that the hotel was plagued by the stench of sewage, urine and vomit.

Dogs, birds and mice were seen in the dining room and toilets were often blocked or overflowing.

Guests complained of food being covered in flies.

They claimed foodstuffs were being re-used and they had serious concerns over whether it was served or stored at the right temperatures.

Clive Garner, of the law firm, said: “We are delighted for our clients that they have now received a fair settlement.

“The long history of guests suffering illness at this hotel makes grim reading.

“There were problems at the hotel on and off for ten years in the lead up to the 2007 outbreak, and we are still receiving complaints from guests five years after that dreadful outbreak.”

Holidaymakers have previously been awarded payouts of £3.5 million over the same destination.