Recycling centre open in time for Christmas

Work approaching completion at the Eastwood Recycling Centre
Work approaching completion at the Eastwood Recycling Centre

The Eastwood Recycling Centre is expected to re-open in time for Christmas, following a £220,000 repair job.

Repair works, carried out by SITA UK contractors, Eric Wright Civil Engineering, included replacement to the boundary fencing and gates such as lighting, signage and the construction of walkways to provide access to the recycling containers and waste for members of the public.

Initially it was thought it would be January when the centre re-opened, but Calderdale Council have announced it will be open in time for Christmas.

The centre closed on July 19 after Trevor Lewis, of Station Road, Hebden Bridge, went on a JCB rampage and caused hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of damage.

Calderdale Council’s Cabinet member for Corporate Asset and Facilities Management, Housing and Environment, Coun Scott Benton, said: “It’s good news for residents that the recycling centre is expected to be open again in time for Christmas.

“We thank them for their cooperation whilst alternative recycling services were in place, and we look forward to the top-quality facilities being used again at the site. It will help residents to recycle all they can during the festive season and beyond.”

The site was set to open yesterday (December 23) between 9am and 4pm and should bring relief to residents needing to get rid of the Christmas waste.

The cost of the repairs were met by SITA UK’s insurers and there was no cost to the council and council tax payers, say the council.

SITA UK Regional Manager, Julie Craigie said: “I would like to thank local residents for their patience during the closure of the site and for their continued commitment to recycling during this difficult period.

“Now that the site is to be open once again, we look forward to welcoming people back and helping Calderdale’s residents put their waste to good use.”

Lewis was jailed in September for three years, after telling Bradford Crown Court that he went on the planned rampage because “he hated his job”.

For more information, visit visit