Top tips to avoid electrical fires

editorial image

Firefighters in the upper Calder Valley have been giving out electrical safety advice after being called to attend several incidents in early 2014.

Todmorden Firefighters have already attended two accidental house fires that were the result of faults with electrical equipment or wiring.

Watch manager Carl Fielden said: “Do not underestimate the fire risk from electricity. Just because there’s no flame doesn’t mean there is no risk.

“Electric wires don’t need to touch anything for a spark to jump and a fire to start.”

Firefighters have issued the following safety advice:

l Watch out for hot plugs and sockets, fuses that blow for no reason, flickering lights and scorch marks on sockets or plugs.

l Check electrical leads and plugs for wear and tear and look for any faulty or damaged wiring.

l Don’t overload sockets. Only use one plug in each socket and preferably use a ‘bar-type’ adapter on a lead.

l Keep electrical appliances clean and in good working order and have them serviced regularly. This is especially important for washing machines and tumble driers that may be left on overnight.

l Remember to turn off and unplug electrical appliances when they are not being used unless they are designed to be left on, such as a fridge.

l Keep electrical leads, plugs and appliances away from water.

l Never run cables under mats or carpets where you cannot see the wear and tear.

Carl said: “Do not take any chances with electricity. If you have any concerns, consult a qualified electrician.”