Warning after dryer sparks fire at house

FIREFIGHTERS have warned about the dangers of using washing machines and dryers overnight following a house fire in Todmorden.

Fire crews were called to a house on Longfield Road at 11.15pm on Thursday, December 6, where a fire had broken out in a clothes dryer machine.

The owner of the house had managed to largely put out the fire with a small extinguisher.

His actions stopped the fire spreading and were praised by watch commander Carl Fielden.

He said: “We don’t particularly want people to tackle fires unless they are trained to do so as it can be dangerous. But his actions certainly helped the situation.

“It was a dry powder extinguisher. Obviously with it being an electrical fire, to use water would have been dangerous.”

He also warned against using washing machines or dryers overnight. “People need to be careful when they are doing their drying or washing at night,” he said.

“Obviously there are heating elements in appliances.

“Try to use them during the day time when you are nearby.”