Woman suffered burns in fire

Share this article

A WOMAN suffered burns after a rug and cushion caught fire in her home.

Fire crews were called to Broadstone Street in Todmorden at 3.30am yesterday to reports of a house fire.

A woman in her 30s had been woken by the sound of her smoke alarm. She suffered burns to her hand when she tried to put the fire out.

It is thought the fire was started by smoking materials left unattended and firefighters are urging people not to smoke in bed or at a time when they could fall asleep.

Watch Commander Geoff Shaw said the incident was another example of smoke alarms saving lives. For a free home fire safety check call West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service on 01274 682311.