Boro through to final

IT was third time lucky for Borough as they completed the last act of their trilogy with Rovers, reached a landmark for the club and rescued their season.

The two teams have met three times in successive weeks.

First in Cumbria where Rovers won 2 - 1 in the league, two weeks ago in Todmorden where they drew 2 - 2 in the return league match and on Saturday at a neutral ground where Borough triumphed 2 - 1.

Furness sit at the top of West Lancashire League Division Two and Borough showed that on their day they can beat any team in the division.

It also showed that over three games there was little to choose between the two teams.

It was also significant that it was the first final the club has reached since its formation 10 years ago.

And after recent league disappointments it has given the players a real incentive for the final against Lytham Town to be played next Tuesday, April 26 at Squires Gate, the home of AFC Blackpool, kick-off 7.45pm.

Borough started their semi-final at Haslingden St Mary’s ground in attacking mode although it developed into a cautious half with few chances.

Oliver Wood shot wide early on and both sides forced a number of corners, but defences were on top, Borough’s led by captain Daniel Skwarek and Oliver Gilford, who were outstanding throughout.

The first half was scoreless, but Borough opened the second strongly, creating a number of chances and scored after 10 minutes.

Chris Kay’s cross was met by Elliott Gilford. His header looked to be going wide, but Nathan Adams was at the back post and tucked it away to give Borough the lead.

The teams were soon level however with a penalty after Skwarek was forced to bring down a Rovers forward.

It was anyone’s game until the 80th minute. Kay crossed a free kick in and Oliver Gilford rose above everyone to head it powerfully home.

Borough then had to defend well as Rovers threw everything at at them including forcing five corners in a row. But they hung on for a historic win.

Manager John Gilford said: “It feels like 10 years’ work has at last come to fruition as we’ve reached out first ever final. Tod Borough has come of age.”

He and his side were full of praise for the Haslingden club and the way they had set up their pitch.

He hoped as many people as possible would travel to watch the final and said directions could be found on the West Lancashire League website or by ringing him on 07798 817186 or his assistant Mark Tolley on 07970 556633.

Plans are in hand to take supporters to the game by minibus at a cost of £10 per head. Anyone interested should contact Phil Morton on 01706 812485.

Before the final, though Borough have another trip to Cumbria to play Furness Cavaliers.