Borough defeat in forst of trilogy

Furness Rovers 2

Todmorden Borough 1

West Lancashire League Division Two

BOROUGH ended the first part of the trilogy with a defeat.

The two - with Rovers sitting at the top of the table - are due to meet twice again in the next two weeks.

Next Saturday in the second act, Rovers travel to Todmorden for the return league match and then they are back again the following week for the league cup semi-final.

The 235-mile round trip proved a bit much for Borough and they were not at their best.

Although they did not play well they did hold the league leaders without much difficulty and only a goal 10 minutes from time separated the sides.

Manager John Gilford felt they performed poorly in some departments of the game.

“If we can play to our potential we can beat them. We have to raise our game and have the right mindset.

“There’s not much difference between us and the top teams, but we need more commitment and we have to do things right from the start,” he said.

Rovers were camped in Borough’s half for the first 10 minutes, but the visitors weathered the storm comfortably.

They did break away eventually and Elliott Gilford’s shot was blocked by the home keeper.

Borough suffered a blow when their influential midfielder Nicky Taylor went off injured after 25 minutes.

While they were still reorganising Rovers struck, with a cross deceiving everyone and looping into the top corner.

Captain Daniel Skwarek and Oliver Gilford marshalled the defence well and kept the home side at bay until half-time.

Chris Kay and Dean Farry started to threaten on the wings, but were unable to deliver quality crosses for the front men.

Early in the half Borough conceded a soft penalty for a foul when the ball appeared to going dead.

But goalkeeper Lee McGrath made a fine stop low on his left to keep Borough in the game.

The home team had a long period of possession but Borough were able to deal with it and finally broke away to win a penalty at the other end, Oliver Gilford making no mistake with the spot kick.

With 10 minutes left the home side created their only real chance of the half and a fine shot left McGrath with no chance.

The best Borough can now hope for in the league with five games left is for a top half finish.