Borough secure a point after three-goal wake-up call

Share this article

POINTS dropped or a point gained was the unanswered question after this game.

At least it kept Borough in fifth place and still well in touch with the leaders, but they knew it could have been different.

But for a 20-minute period at the beginning of the game when they were caught out three times by the visitors, they might have won the game.

Instead they appeared half asleep and found themselves 3 - 0 down.

From then they fought back brilliantly, eventually taking the lead, but losing it near the end.

They were a goal down after five minutes when the defence failed to deal with a throw and a Milnthorpe player was left with an easy header to take the lead and leave Borough stunned.

Things went from bad to worse as they again failed to deal with a speculative cross, allowing the visitors to double their lead.

Borough only created one chance in this period, Eliott Gilford heading just over from a cross by fullback Daniel Lively.

Milnthorpe hit back though with a third goal, Borough again failing to clear from a corner and presenting an easy chance.

Lee Earnshaw went off injured and Dean Farry came on to the right flank.

The pace of the tricky winger immediately had effect and he began to open up the visitors’ defence.

Five minutes before the break, his cross found Oliver Wood at the back post to head in.

Two minutes later he was on hand to go clear from a long throw and slotted the ball home to make it 3 - 2 to the visitors at half-time.

The second half started with Borough in charge.

They immediately put the visitors under pressure. Gilford caused confusion in the penalty area and the ball went out to Wood.

He headed back into Gilford who completed his work by heading into the net.

Danny Welch replaced Dave Patrick in midfield and combined well with Chris Pearson.

Welch then found Farry with a good ball and his pass inside went to the on-rushing Jack Dungworth.

He cemented his promotion to the first team with a well struck goal to give Borough the lead.

Both sides had penalty appeals turned down and Milnthorpe hit the bar.

But they fought on and their effort paid off with two minutes to go when a Borough clearance was charged down and fired into the home net.

Next week Borough travel to Preston for a tough game agaiant Croston Sports, who currently lie one place above them in Division Two having been relegated last season.

BOROUGH Reserves travelled north with just 12 players to Milnthorpe Corinthians.

They put in a spirited performance against a strong home side and were still in the game until a third goal early in the second half killed off their challenge.

They felt aggrieved at the first goal after what appeared a blatant foul on the keeper.

But they had no complaints about a well worked second goal.

They gave a good account of themselves and created chances of their own, but were unable to put them away.

They came out strongly in the second half, but a crucial goal five minutes into the half left them reeling.

A home forward beat their offside trap and then fired into the net.

The visitors battled on creating numerous chances, but were still unable to put them away until 15 minutes from the end.

It was a brilliant individual goal from Terry Lowe that gave them their consolation as he broke several tackles as he went round defender after defender before hammering it home.

Afterward manager Craig Milnes was full of praise for his team who had put in a good performance under difficult circumstances.