Borough go into break on back of a 4 goal win

Dean Farry
Dean Farry

TODMORDEN Borough continued their unbeaten league run with a comfortable 4-0 home win over Bolton County.

Lowly County couldn’t cope with second-placed Borough’s high tempo and within five minutes they were picking the ball out of the goal.

After great build-up play from the home team, Oliver Wood leaped to head the ball home. However, the opposition goalkeeper was spared his blushes because the linesman had already flagged for offside.

It was a busy opening to the game for Wood and after a mix up in the County defence he pinched the ball and ran through, but unfortunately the striker put his effort wide with only the goalkeeper to beat.

Then in the 17th minute came what could probably be described as the major turning point in the game. The County goalkeeper went down with an eye injury and received treatment for ten minutes. He then received further treatment at the side of the pitch, but, with the hope that their number one would soon be fine to take his place back between the sticks, the County management decided to play on with 10 men.

This turned out to be a big mistake and within ten minutes they decided to substitute their goalkeeper - but at this point is was already 2-0 to Borough.

The first goal came after about 18 minutes when, after good work on the wing, Chris Kay centred for Wood to prod home. Wood got his and Borough’s second seven minutes later when he headed home at the back post after a long throw had been flicked on.

To be fair to County, despite being outplayed for much of the half they never let their heads drop and before the break they forced a couple of good saves from home keeper Lee McGrath.

Despite more pressure from Borough, and a shot from Kay that went wide, County managed to hold out and it was 2-0 at the interval.

Bolton had the better of the opening exchanges after the break and again forced McGrath into making a good save.

But Borough have the best defence in the league, having conceded ten in their last 11 games and managed to keep the visitors at bay.

After soaking up the early pressure, Borough then responded with attacks of their own and made it 3-0 on 60 minutes. Elliot Gilford broke into the box and scored with a low shot from 12 yards to kill any outside hopes the visitors has.

The fourth and final goal came on 75 minutes courtesy of Dean Farry.

Farry was initially fouled about 25 yards away from goal on the left and Cooper swung the ball into the back post and it was headed back across goal for Farry to leap up in the air and nod it home.

Although the score line may suggest that this game was all about the forwards, special praise must be given to Harry Whitehead and Danny Skwarek at the back who marshalled the defence expertly.

Borough are next in action in the New Year when they travel to Milnthorpe Corinthians on Saturday, January 7.

l OTHERWISE, it was a blank weekend for the town’s sides as the weather curtailed the fixture list.

On Saturday Borough Reserves match at Blackpool Wren Rovers was among the postponements, while in the Rochdale Online Alliance League neither Jack’s House side were able to play.

On Sunday morning the Rochdale Sunday League called off all fixtures, so Woodhouse and Royal George must wait until the new year to get back in action.