Borough look to turn on the style again

Todmorden Borough's Jack Dungworth
Todmorden Borough's Jack Dungworth

Todmorden Borough boss John Gilford will be demanding more of the same from his players on Saturday after a sparkling display at Croston Sports last weekend.

Borough avenged an earlier 3-1 home defeat with victory by the same score in the return West Lancashire League Division Two fixture.

“We played really, really well, especially in the first half,” said Gilford, who is hoping his side can reproduce that form at home to sixth-placed Leyland United on Saturday.

Leyland won the first meeting 1-0 but their form on the road has been modest.

Gilford said: “Leyland are a good footballing side - probably the best in the division last season when they had six points deducted.

“They aren’t doing quite as well this time but it will be a tough game.”

Fullback Stevie Barker is away for the weekend and there is a doubt over Lee Earnshaw - a scorer last Saturday - but Gilford could have Chris Kay, Jim Hardman and young Jim Crowther pressing for places.

The boss knows there is nothing like a bit of competition for places to lift performances and motivate players.

Reflecting on the win at Croston he said: “It show that with a strong team out we can be a match for anybody.”

Borough led 1-0 at half time after a 45-minute display which had been in contrast to the previous week, when they failed to come out of the blocks in a 3-1 home defeat by CMB.

With Harry Whitehead and Jack Dungworth bossing midfield, Dean Farry and Terry Lowe were able to terrorise Croston down the flanks.

Farry, Ben Whitham, Dungworth and Marco Romaro all might have scored in the opening half but Borough were rewarded on 25 minutes when Lowe paved the way for Whitham to round two defenders and open the scoring.

Croston rallied but Dan Lively and Danny Walsh were in excellent form, with Barker and Earnshaw providing good support.

Borough were on the back foot in the opening stages of the second half as Croston adopted a direct approach.

Dungworth helped Borough regain control and when he was brought down, free-kick specialist Earnshaw bent the ball round the wall to double the lead.

Elliott Gilford and Dave Patrick replaced Whitham and Romaro up front and they combined for Patrick to round the keeper and complete the scoring with 10 minutes of the match left.