Carrington romp nine clear at top

Carrington's Jordan Coduri
Carrington's Jordan Coduri

Carrington marched into a nine point lead at the top of the Ziggys Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League thanks to Jordan Coduri’s four-goal salvo in a 6-2 win away to Top Club.

The visitors took the lead with a measured finish from Coduri.

Chris Ellerby then added another from close range but Top Club were proving no pushovers, with Tom Gorringe and Ryan Barkham excellent, and they got back into it with a superb 20 yard strike from Adam Clayton.

Carrington restored the 2 goal cushion when great work on the right from Damien Randall teed up Ellerby for his second.

Tom Hiley had a good chance to extend the lead further but was denied by keeper and post and Clayton then scored another for Top Club to make the score 3-2 at the break.

Early in the second half Ellerby played through Coduri for his second and more excellent interplay between the 2 allowed Coduri to seal his hat-trick.

Carrington continued to create chances and scored again late on, Coduri grabbing his fourth with a well taken half-volley.

League officials are sure to want to look into the circumstances of the abandonment of the match between two of the Premier’s strongest sides, Halifax Hammers and Bowling Green.

Mount Tabor made it four wins out of five with a 6-3 success at Lee Mount while last season’s runners-up Hollins Holme picked up a second success with a 5-3 home win over Ryburn United.

Lewis Cockroft needed only 10 minutes after a lengthy injury absence to get back in the scoring groove for Hollins.

Gareth Swaine, deputising in goal for Chris Garbutt, conceded a penalty from which Ryburn equalised but Hollins then gained a spot kick of their own when George Bamford was fouled and Andy Butterworth made it 2-1.

Cockroft scored his second just before half time but Ryburn stayed in the hunt with their second.

James Chadwick restored the two-goal gap following good work from Steve Senior, only for Ryburn to score their third with 15 minutes left.

Hollins made the points safe when Senior produced more good work down the left. Cockroft’s effort was saved but Bamford, who had missed several earlier chances, made no mistake this time.

Feathers took advantage of Barge FC’s cup commitments to go top of Division One, coming back from a goal down to beat Royd Club 3-2.

Feathers started strongly before Royd found their feet and took the lead after 20 minutes when James Megson brilliantly switched play and Sam Taylor unselfishly set up Mike McKelvey to slot home.

A brilliant strike forced a diving save from Rick Davison but the Royd ‘keeper was beaten by a header on a Feathers counter-attack and then twice more in the early stages of the second half.

Rayyan Karim’s long-range dipping effort gave Royd hope with five minutes left and set up a frantic finale.

The Feathers keeper made a fine save from Ben Fairburn. Tom Jones blocked a header on the line at the other end and with the last attack of the game Royd’s James Megson fired wide.

North Bridge are up to fourth after their expected success over bottom side Bradshaw, winning 8-3.

It was a good day for Brighouse sides in the first round of the Springfield Camping League Cup with Top Club Reserves, Barge and Crown all going through.

Top Club’s second string had a 5-0 win over Ovenden Phoenix and the sides will meet again on Sunday in the league.

Matthew Bagshaw’s high flying Division One side Barge were too strong for the league’s bottom team North Bridge Reserves, winning 12-1.

Barge fell behind after their customary slow start to a superb half volley from 25 yards.

However, corners proved a useful source of goals for Barge, Tom wright scoring from two headers and Jamie Cartledge and sub striker Kieron Cassidy also cashing on.

Quick attacking play produced two goals for Graham Pugh and central midfielder Sean McManamin scored his first goals for the club with an effort into the top corner and a second half tap-in.

Cartledge and Cassidy got their second goals and Wright completed a hat-trick before man of the match Geordie Watson rounded off the game with a 25 yard free kick pinging in off the bar.

Crown saw off Halifax Amateurs with a 4-3 victory on the road.

Halifax Rangers made heavy weather of seeing off a youthful yet plucky St Columbas side 5-2.

Sean Byrne struck four times for the winners but his last two had an element of fortune about them

Rangers had the fillip of an early goal, when Matt Smith stooped to head home Howard Metcalfe’s left-wing corner after 10 minutes, but the rest of the half was a lacklustre affair.

Saints drew level through George Haigh-Gill’s rising shot from outside the box that flew into to the top corner on 57 minutes but Byrne swept the ball home to restore the home lead.

St Columbas made the most of an error by ‘keeper Josh Ward and Luke Sharman to score from close range.

But their joy was short-lived as Byrne showed nimble feet in the box to put Rangers 3-2 in front less than a minute later.

Rangers were reduced to 10 men following the needless sending-off of Luke Watson but Byrne used his experience to put daylight between the sides.

His third goal five minutes from time found the net via a wicked deflection and the ball looped over the ‘keeper after his shot had clipped a defender for his fourth.

There were away wins for Halifax Hammers Reserves by 2-1 over Beehive & Crosskeys and Queens Head by 3-1 at Hens Face.

Sides who made home advantage pay were King Cross Park, 3-2 winners over Triangle, and Ovenden BCFC, who beat Weavers 6-4.