Fitness tells in victory as Boro go third

Chris Kay, Todmorden Borough
Chris Kay, Todmorden Borough

STILL unbeaten Todmorden Borough moved to third in the league after a battling home 1-0 victory.

Whinney Hill proved tough opposition at Bellholme as the home side struggled to keep them out in the first half.

They were much more dominant in the second and their fitness told in the end, though they had to rely on keeper Lee McGrath.

He pulled off a string of saves in the first half, the first after less than 10 minutes.

It was in the second half however that he kept his side in the game with a great save from a penalty.

Borough had started to dominate from the start of the second period but began to lose their shape as they pressed for an opening goal.

They forced a series of corners, but from the last a long clearance was misjudged in midfield allowing the visitors to breakaway. In desperation Harry Whitehead brought the Whinney Hill striker down in the box.

McGrath was there to save Borough’s bacon from the spot kick and from then the home side took control.

It was the visitors’ uncompromising long ball game that kept Borough on the back foot for most of the first half.

They found it difficult to get out of their half and it was not until a few minutes before the break that they began to assert themselves.

They defended well, however, and had a couple of chances, but the first period ended goalless.

After the break, Borough were a different side and started to take charge.

Once they had recovered from the early shock of the penalty, it was just a matter of time before they scored.

They were a constant threat down the flanks, but the visitors defended solidly and kept them out until 15 minutes from end.

Daniel Lively’s long throws were also causing problems and from one of them Borough grabbed the goal.

Oliver Wood did what he is good at and flicked a header from the throw into the Whinney Hill net.

There was no way back for the visitors as Borough got stronger and saw the game out.

Borough are three points behind leaders Ambleside United with a game in hand and on Saturday they travel to bottom club Walney Island.

The club’s management will stress to them however not to be complacent about the game, especially as it is their longest trip for a league match and will mean a three-hour journey.