Hammers meet Carrington in final

Halifax Hammers and Carrington will clash in the Briggs Priestley Senior Cup final at Brighouse Town AFC next month after contrasting wins at the weekend.

Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 10:44 am
Updated Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 10:47 am
Sunday Football - Ryburn Valley v Halifax Hammers. Lamin Gitteh gets a cross past Ryburn keeper Matty Hirst to set up a goal for Awais Khan

Hammers powered past Ryburn Valley 5-1 at Savile Park while Halifax Sunday League leaders Carrington were made to work much harder for a 4-3 win over all sparring partners Waiters Arms.

Hammers were on the attack from the start against Ryburn and took the lead through Mohammed Ozair’s deflected shot after 13 minutes.

Good play on the left by Matty Waller and Lamin Gitteh then set up youngster Awais Khan to make it 2-0 from close range.

Valley, who play in a division below their visitors, tried to stem the flow with some last-ditch defending and good saves.

They were given hope five minutes before the break when James Dodds headed in from close range and Dodds had a chance to level matters but his effort went wide.

It was 1-3 soon after the break when Hammers left back Ikhlaq Ahmed broke up a Ryburn attack, ran forward and provided a delightful through ball for Waller to smartly chip the ‘keeper.

An Ahsan Farooq penalty and Lamin Gitteh shot into the top corner settled matters with half an hour left.

The fourth encounter of the season between Carrington and Waiters was as usual a hard fought and entertaining game.

Waiters took the lead on 20 minutes when David Chappell stole in behind the Carrington defence and finished well.

Carrington hit back soon after when Damian Randall’s effort was parried into the net by the otherwise impressive Ethan Daly.

Carrington continued to see more of the ball in the second half although Waiters were dangerous from set pieces and long throws from Ashton Richardson.

A well worked free-kick between Leon Hurles-Brook and Jordan Coduri set up Jay Carney to give Carrington the lead for the first time and when Carney added another moments later it seemed to be game over.

But Waiters always show great spirit and when Chappell capitalised on a mix up at the back it was game on.

Waiters started to turn the screw and Chappell’s hat-trick strike levelled the scores.

It was Carrington’s turn to show their character. Daly superbly denied Randall but with 10 minutes Carney got on the end of a good move to grab the winner and complete his hat-trick.

Old Pond’s relegation from the Premier Division was confirmed as they went down 7-0 at home to Lee Mount.

Mount were one of the sides that the Hove Edge outfit had beaten this campaign, but the visitors were the far stronger side at the weekend.

Mount netted twice from well worked corners through Peter Waller and man of the match Jordan Pettifor whilst Jack Normanton was also on target in the first period.

Hayden Lewis’ penalty was well saved by Liam Normanton and to compound the misery for Pond, the visitors broke and netted again.

Pettifor and Normanton both completed hat-tricks to boost Mount’s hopes of survival.

Hollins Holme, bottom three weeks ago, have shot up to fifth in the Premier Division with four wins on the bounce.

The latest was a 5-1 success against Mount Tabor at Natty Lane on Sunday, which came hot on the heels of Thursday’s 4-2 win away to Top Club at Carr Green.

Toby Standring picked up a through ball from Andrew Butterworth and rounded the keeper to open the scoring after 25 minutes on Sunday.

Hollins added a second before half time from a George Bamford corner, Butterworth flicking on for Joe Gibson to head in.

A hat-trick from central midfielder James Chadwick put more daylight between the sides with his opener, after running past three opponents, the pick of his goals.

Tabor got their goal late on past replacement ‘keeper Rob Laycock.

Ryburn United did their survival hopes a power of good with victory over Ripponden Wood visitors FC Bowling Green by the odd goal in 13.

Queens Head have a chance to overhaul runaway Division One leaders Feathers after beating their rivals 3-1 away on Sunday.

The gap between the top pair is 10 points but Hotel have played four games fewer.

Fourth-placed Barge boosted their promotion hopes with a 5-1 win over mid-table North Bridge but Ovenden BC, immediately below them, were held 6-6 by Fountain Head in another game at Savile Park.

Two of Barge’s remaining games are against bottom side Royd Club, who crashed 18-0 at Oddfellows at the weekend.

Halifax Hammers Reserves guaranteed themselves first division football next season as they secured the runners up position in Division Two with a 6-1 win over Halifax Rangers at Calderdale College.

They started like a house on fire, their slick passing and movement paving the way for goals from Wajid Namaz and Awais Ashfaq in the first five minutes.

They missed gilt edge chances and just before half time Rangers got one back.

However, Hammers found their shooting boots again and bagged four more without reply.

Kristian Ellis’ rejuvenated Crown FC beat Halifax Amateurs 8-4 at soggy Wellesley Park.

Jos Lingard impressed for Amateurs, who took the lead. However, Crown had plenty of firepower themselves and Chris Payne looked back to his sharp best as he grabbed a hat-trick.

Craig Gladwin (2), Joe Sykes (2) and Chris Carter also found the net for the Waring Green side who moved up to seventh place.

There was a third successive victory for Top Club Reserves, by 6-3 against bottom side Ovenden Phoenix.