Home now in mind after last minute penalty sends Boro to defeat

TODMORDEN Borough will be looking to make the most of two home opportunities over the next five days after the disappointment of losing to a last-minute penalty in their latest game.

John Gilford’s side paid the price for a below-par display when they went down 3-2 away to Ladybridge in Division Two of the West Lancashire League.

That followed a 2-2 draw on the long haul to play Furness Cavaliers in Cumbria last Saturday and means they have had one win, one defeat and two draws at the start of their 30-game league campaign.

The target is to improve on last season’s fifth-place finish and fill one of the two promotion spots, so Borough will be looking for some improvement when they host Ulvertson on Saturday (3.0) and then Hirst Green from the Blackburn/Chorley area on Tuesday (6.30).

Against Ladybridge, the visitors had no time for a warm up and their hosts twice broke through the midfield to score after 20 and 40 minutes.

Borough received a tonic just before half-time with a penalty for handball and Oliver Wood put them back in the contest.

They played well for the next quarter but chances went begging and Wood was high and wide with another spot kick.

The equaliser came on 70 minutes when a cross/shot from Daniel Lively was parried by the ‘keeper and Elliott Gilford scored.

There was a glaring miss from Wood and Borough paid the price when Ladybridge won it with the game’s third penalty late on.

Borough had also started slowly against Furness in breezy conditions on a bumpy pitch.

It didn’t stop them from drawing first blood, Wood sending Dean Farry through to score.

Play was scrappy in the second half and Cavaliers used their towering striker to go 2-1 up.

He made it 1-1 when Borough failed to clear a corner on 55 minutes and struck with a free header on 75 minutes.

However, the visitors snatched a point in added time when left back Dave Patrick moved forward to set up Farry to bag his second goal of the game at the back post.