Martin's goal gives Park title

King Cross Park secured the Halifax Sunday League Division Two title with a hard-fought 1-0 home victory over promotion hopefuls Halifax Rangers.

Tuesday, 5th April 2016, 9:47 am
Updated Tuesday, 5th April 2016, 9:51 am

Striker Evan Robinson was a constant threat to Rangers’ back line and good work down the flanks from Tom Pierson and Joe Sharp created chances.

However, resolute defending and squandered opportunities kept the scoresheet blank.

Rangers’ David Oakes was denied by an outstanding save from Jordan Radcliffe before the all-important goal arrived on 34 minutes.

Martin Eland curled the ball home with a delicious finish from all of 30 yards with the keeper wrong-footed.

The final hour was a tense one, with Park continuing to create chances but lacking a cutting edge.

The long-throws of Andy Bowe could have spoiled Park’s party but for excellent defence.

The final whistle sparked wild celebrations with King Cross Park winning their first title in their fourth season.

Manager Adam Stacey said: “It’s just what we deserve, but our next target is to see the league out unbeaten.*

There were four one-sided matches in the Premier Division with the leading trio among those to flex their muscles.

Table-toppers Carrington returned to winning ways, after their draw against Hammers, with a 10-0 drubbing of Mount Tabor.

The visitors piled on the pressure from the outset although a determined defensive display from Tabor kept the score down to 3-0 at half-time.

Carrington ran away with it in the second half and Tabor’s day was made worse when Ben Barker was sent-off late on.

There were hat-tricks apiece for Jay Carney and Damien Randall and the other scorers were Dan Crosland, Leon Hurles-Brook, Damon Gledhill-Nichols and Chris Ellerby.

Hammers beat Ryburn United 6-1 after an early scare when a Luke Hartley effort was brilliantly saved by stand in keeper Irfan Afzal and Hartley’s second effort hit the bar.

Jasim Saleh deservedly headed Hammers in front after half an hour from Mohammed Ozair’s corner.

Lamin Gitteh’s effort was cleared off the line but Matty Waller and Awais Khan set up Gitteh to make it 2-0 at the break.

Hammers put the game to bed with four goals in the opening 12 minutes of the second half.

Ahsan Farooq followed a mazy run with a powerful shot; Waller scored from close range; Gitteh made it 5-0 after some quick one touch passing; and midfield maestro Kashif Akmal added to Ryburn’s woes.

Sam Walton scored a consolation goal in a game was very well refereed by John Hallos.

Waiters Arms continued their push for a top three finish with a comprehensive 5-0 victory over mid-table Top Club.

Waiters were all over their hosts down the slope but wayward finishing from Lee Wood, Billy Grogan and Kev Talbot meant it was still goalless after half an hour.

Chappell did make amends shortly after when he volleyed home from the edge of the area after a great pass from James Waggett.

Top Club changed formation at the break but were soon two down when Chappell and Wood combined to free Carl Maguire, who fired home his 10th in as many games.

Tom Gorringe and Antony McLeod battled for Top Club but failed to penetrate Waiters’ back line.

Freddie Bottomley sent Chappell racing clear and he unselfishly squared for Grogan to slot home.

Grogan made it 4-0 after fantastic one-touch passing between himself, Wood and Waggett.

Waggett missed two good chances but won a free kick on the edge of the box from which Grogan curled the ball home to complete a hat trick.

Near the foot of the table, Hollins Holme avenged a recent defeat by Old Pond with an emphatic 7-0 away win which leaves their hosts hovering above the trap door.

Tom Garland was the main man in front of goal for the visitors as he grabbed a hat-trick, whilst James Chadwick, Lewis Cockroft, James Cowans and substitute Jake Shaw were also on the scoresheet.

Pond keeper Dan Barnes made a couple of decent saves, but at the other end chances were at a premium.

Luke Sherry hit the best effort just wide, whilst Paul Taylor was denied when through on goal.

The two games in Division One produced narrow away wins for Oddfellows, by 6-5 away to Bradshaw, and North Bridge, by 4-3 away to Triangle.

Ovenden BCFC and Queens Head will contest the Springfield Camping League Cup final at Brighouse Town on April 24 after clear-cut wins on Sunday.

Barge are a place above Ovenden in Division One but their rivals ran out 6-1 winners.

Division One high-flyers Queens Head justified favouritism against Crown, winning 4-0.