Ruthless Carrington almost there

Carrington moved to the brink of their fourth successive Halifax Sunday League title with a ruthless 10-1 destruction of Hollins Holme on the 3G pitch at Trinity Academy.

Tuesday, 19th April 2016, 2:47 pm
Updated Tuesday, 19th April 2016, 3:49 pm
Actions from Carrington v Hollins Holme, football at Trinity Academy. PIctured is Leon Hurles-Brook and Chris Garbett

That left them needing to beat Lee Mount at Trinity Academy on Thursday to sew up the silverware with two games left.

Carrington play Hollins in the Halifax FA Sunday Cup final early next month and the leaders’ dominant display left visiting boss Joel Booth wondering how his men could turn the tables at the Shay.

Booth was full of praise for Carrington and is hoping the return of half a dozen players who were rested on Sunday and the switch back to grass will help his side bridge the gap.

Carrington scored five goals in each half.

An own goal from Dan Crosland shortly after the break briefly reduced the deficit but Carrington responded with five more unanswered goals.

Jay Carney made it a hat-trick of hat-tricks in consecutive weeks. There were two each for Damien Randall, Leon Hurles-Brook and Jordan Coduri and Damon Gledhill-Nichols completed the scoring.

Halifax Hammers prolonged the seemingly inevitable conclusion to the title race by thumping Mount Tabor 14-1.

Man of match Ahsan Farooq destroyed Tabor almost single-handedly with eight goals.

He was on target five times before half time, running past The Tabor defence for fun and also being in the right place at the right time when the ball was played to him in box.

While he added a further three, his brother Hussain Farooq also scored two after coming on as a substitute. Lamin Gitteh and defenders Zohaib Iqbal - with a spectacular volley - Ikhlaq Ahmed and Abu Bakar got the others.

Waiters Arms kept their grip on second place with a 3-2 victory over relegation threatened hosts Ryburn United.

Waiters had centre half Gordon Brierley in goal and he conceded the penalty from which Jake Finch gave United the lead.

Ryburn keeper Lewis Scott was in inspired form but when he could only block David Chappell’s effort on 30 minutes, Colin Maguire tapped home his 15th of the campaign.

It was soon 2-1 when Maguire’s corner was headed home emphatically by Waiters skipper Ash O’Shea and Oliver Coates added to Ryburn’s task before the break.

Waiters hit the bar twice and Scott made numerous point blank saves in the second half and Ryburn got a second when Luke Hartley curled a beauty into the top corner.

Lee Mount lifted themselves three places to sixth courtesy of a 4-1 win at home to Bowling Green.

Barge FC moved close to promotion from Division One when they showed no mercy against under strength Ryburn Valley to win 10-1.

Sam Halstead tormented the visitors’ defence down the right flank and it was no surprise when he gave Barge the lead with a neat finish from a tight angle.

He soon turned provider for Graham Pugh and a Jamie Cartledge volley made it 3-0.

Valley went close twice from set pieces, Barge keeper Peter Jennings watching the second effort clip his crossbar.

Another Halstead assist - he set up Ian St Hilaire for a rare goal - put the game to bed before the interval;.

Barge took their foot off the gas for the first 20 minutes of the second half before Ryburn were reduced to nine men due to injury.

Pugh added his second; substitute David Sutton broke clear and side footed home; Cartledge netted from a Jordan Parnell through ball; Parnell scored with a diving header; Parnell got another; and left back Luke Johnson completed the scoring.

Ryburn’s plucky efforts were eventually rewarded when Joe Casey got a touch on a shot and deflected the ball home.

Fifth-placed Ovenden BC won 4-2 at Oddfellows and look likely to just miss promotion while Triangle went above Bradshaw with as 3-2 success of those rivals near the foot of the table.

There was only one game in Division Two and Halifax Amateurs registered a 4-1 success away to Top Club Reserves.