Suthers a key man as Tod take derby spoils with strong finish

editorial image

Todmorden Athletic Under eights finished the stronger to beat Hebden Bridge Saints Sharks 8-3.

Two goals from Saints’ Alfie Adams and one from the excellent Elio Paskin took an intriguing contest to 3-3, but it just wasn’t enough as hosts Todmorden kept up the pressure right to the final whistle.

The opening goal came from a great half-volley from Euan Logue and another should have followed from Brett Hopley thanks to an excellent Will Hammond cross, but Hebden Bridge ’keeper Aaron Sachdeva saved well.

Bailey Sutton deserved a goal for all his battling build-up play, but Freddie Priestley, Frank Cooper and Dan Adams scored two goals each for Todmorden.

These goals proved invaluable as Hebden Bridge pressed constantly, putting pressure on Jack Suthers whose defending and pin-point passing were key.

Todmorden Wanderers Under seven beat Hebden Bridge Saints 7-1 on the Centre Vale Astroturf.

Wanderers keeper Ruben Aldred was called into action early, throwing himself into the path of two thunderous shots from the Saints strikers.

Isaac Waite opened the scoring for Wanderers, slotting home from Lennie Halstead’s free kick.

Wanderers remained on top for the first half with Alfie Senior finding the net a further four times.

The second half saw a close fought battle. Aidan Rodgers defended passionately for Wanderers with perfectly timed tackles, cleverly cutting off Saints attacks.

Daniel Kelly and Halstead worked hard to feed the Wanderers strikers.

Saints pulled a goal back with a tremendous free kick by Stan Dickinson from his own half, the ball sailing into the Wanderers goal.

Harvey Cartmill got on the score sheet with a well earned goal before a late strike from Senior completed the scoring.

Hebden Bridge Tigers lost 2-1 at Spen United in a game which they thought should have produced at least their fifth draw of the season.

Tigers produced some excellent play but nothing fell their way.

Spen went two up, both from rebounds, but it was Tigers who pressed, especially with the wind in the second half.

Hebden got a goal back when Jaiden Hildred headed in and then Tigers had another headed goal disallowed for handball.

A fine penalty save from Dan Davie kept the deficit to a single goal but Hebden’s strikers just could not find the net again for the equaliser, so ending a four-match unbeaten run.