High fives for Jack’s fine display

Share this article

JACKS took control of this game right from the start.

With one of the best strike-forces in the division, Jack’s House went into the game knowing they would always create plenty of chances.

So the emphasis was on tightening the defence and stopping the recent spate of leaked goals.

The team talk from managers Grant Cochrane and Chris Barker fired Jacks’ players up and from the first whistle they were on top, not allowing the opposition to settle.

They could have scored three times in the opening five minutes as Jonny Sutcliffe twice went close and Danny Brown narrowly missed after going through one on one with the keeper.

The breakthrough came soon after when left back Danny Birch floated a free kick into the box and it fell to Brown, who made no mistake this time with a clinical finish.

Five minutes later, Birch won another free kick in an almost identical position.

This time it was met by Sutcliffe and he duly converted to make it 2-0 to the home side.

The defence of Adams, Cochrane, Causton and Birch worked hard as a unit, and showed an understanding not seen between them in recent weeks.

Fothergills, however, are a decent side and still managed to create chances, but a flurry of outstanding saves from keeper Pete Goldsmith made sure Jacks held on to the lead.

In midfield, Walker, Heyes, Hignett and Rhodes worked tirelessly to close down the opposition, never allowing them to play their usual attractive passing game.

Heyes won the ball on one such occasion and fed it through to striker Sutcliffe who found himself bearing down on goal.

The keeper parried well and the ball fell kindly to Jordan Walker, who calmy curled it into the corner of the net from 25 yards.

Birch then played a pass down the wing to Brown and his clever flick found its way into the path of Sutcliffe, who sped past the last two defenders with ease.

From a tight angle, and with only the keeper to beat, he fired left footed across the goal and neatly into the bottom corner of the net to make it 4 - 0 on the stroke of half time.

Darrel Rhodes was substituted after a good display to be replaced in the second half by the experienced Eddie Orlinski.

He quickly settled into the game, linking up well with both attack and defence.

Jacks then won a corner and Brown fizzed in a cross which was met at the near post by Ashley Hignett, who stole a yard on his marker to head home the fifth.

In the final 10 minutes Fothergills won a penalty after an adjudged handball and their striker converted the resulting spot kick to earn them a consolation goal.

Man of the match was jointly awarded to Hignett and Goldsmith but every one of Jack’s House players can take pride in their performance.

l JACKS second team found opponents White Lion in top form as they went down 6 - 1 away from home in the President’s Cup.