Hot stuff lights up a cold final as bowls quality overcomes weather

Winners: Hebden Bridge's Gary Timewell and Pete Jackson
Winners: Hebden Bridge's Gary Timewell and Pete Jackson

A TOUGH hard-fought final rewarded the hardy spectators who braved the conditions to watch Old Town Bowling Club’s American Pairs competition on Sunday.

Bowled in cold and showery weather the competition brought together 20 pairs to compete in an exciting contest sponsored by Beverage Express Ltd.

Faultless performances in the round-robin stage from Kathy Ness and Brian Holroyd, John Hartley and John Simpson, Anne Hayes and Dave Greenwood and Verna Ashley and Lena Meadowcroft ensured their places in the last eight.

Other quarter-finalists were Gary Timewell and Pete Jackson, Bill Ashley and Stuart Gill, Terry Ness and Martin Greenwood and Barbara and Dave Warburton.

Unexpected exits at this stage were Sue Martin and Dave Blackburn, Derek Senior and Sean Frewin and Paul and Fiona Fisher most of whom have seen recent successes in Old Town’s competitions.

The quarterfinal games were all relatively one-sided affairs setting up semi-final clashes between Hebden Bridge’s Gary Timewell and Pete Jackson who took on Mytholmroyd’s Verna Ashley and Lena Meadowcroft.

The Midgehole men moved up a gear and with the help of a panful at the fourth end ran out convincing 15-3 winners in 10 ends.

The other semi-final between Todmorden Park’s John Hartley and John Simpson and Hillcrest’s Kathy Ness and Brian Holroyd looked a more evenly matched contest until the eighth end when the Tod men, after a superb lead by John Hartley, landed a panful to transform the game to 12-4 in their favour.

They eventually secured their place in the final with a 15-7 victory.

This set the stage for a final between Hebden Bridge and Tod Park.

The Midgehole men got the better of the early skirmishes with Pete Jackson leading well over the “Barrel run” and Gary Timewell regularly making his second wood count either by saving points or bowling a winner.

But the Park men replied at the 10th end with a score of three to level the match at 8-8.

At the next end a superb second wood by Timewell gave them a three and lifted their spirits.

The two pairs traded blows over the next four ends and with the score at 14-9 the Park men stared defeat in the face.

But at the 15th end John Simpson weighed in with a peach of a second wood to score two and keep the contest alive.

But one more end was all that Timewell and Jackson needed to secure the final point to give them victory, to lift the silver trophy and pocket the £100 first prize.

All four finalists were applauded from the green by a cold, damp but appreciative crowd.

Club secretary Derek Williamson thanked the sponsors and everyone who had contributed to making ita successful day and presented the prizes.