Jacks still confident despite reshuffled side’s loss

Jacks went into the game against Whitworth Valley full of confidence after last week’s demolition of Bury Town.

With a win and a loss already recorded against Whitworth this season, they knew that a performance like the previous week would give them a second victory on the bounce.

But Jacks had to reshuffle the team due to a couple of no-shows and unavailability.

This has been the biggest issue the team has faced this season and the management team has agreed this will not be accepted next season.

Jacks looked the better team in the first 10 minutes but Whitworth soon settled and played some nice football on a difficult pitch.

The Jacks defence stood firm for the first 20 minutes, Causton winning everything in the air, Barker sweeping up everything on the floor.

Whitworth then beat the offside trap and found themselves 1 – 0.

Jacks though, due to changes in personnel over the last month have developed a better team spirit and continued to push.

After neat link-up play with Brown, Krogulski was one on one with the keeper, who pulled off the save.

A soft free kick was given about 30 yards despite protests and the Whitworth captain unleashed a thunderbolt into the top left corner.

Another long ball saw Whitworth carve out their third, the cross coming in to find the striker unmarked.

Jacks’ goal came on the stroke of half-time. Marrow, who had been given a licence to shoot, scored a beauty from 25 vards out, hitting on the volley giving the Whitworth keeper no chance.

Within the first two minutes of the second half Brown won a penalty.

He took the ball round the Whitworth centre half and was hacked down, giving Jacks the perfect opportunity to get themselves back in the game. Sutcliffe smashed the ball but found the woodwork.

Jacks did not let their heads drop and continued to create chance after chance.

It was all one-way traffic but the breakthrough did not come.

The Whitworth keeper made several good saves and Jacks changed formation pushing Causton up front.

More half chances were made. A couple of shots went wayward and a couple of penalty appeals were turned down. It ended 3-1.

Jacks had been the better team throughout and showed that even with a small squad they are capable of competing in the Premier Division.

With three games to go, Jacks need to win them all to guarantee safety.

Confidence is still high and as long as they maintain their belief, Jacks have every chance of staying up. Next week they entertain Asia, who will struggle on the fortress that is Walsden Rec.