Junior football round-up

Superb finishing earned Todmorden Sports Centre U13s a 4-1 victory against Boothtown, who held the ball for long periods but could not convert possession into goals.

Boothtown attacked from the start, keeping the Todmorden rearguard of Callum Bailey, Alec Hodkinson, Jack Crummett and Charlie Mariani busy.

The visitors scored against the run of play when Henry Antemes stabbed home.

After half-time Boothtown equalised but this led to Todmorden’s best period with Christopher Reeder, Jack Pearson, Jack Denton and Lewis Porter working hard in midfield.

Boothtown’s tactic of man-marking Benjamin Pearson was only partially effective because it allowed more room for Antemes who scored three more times to secure the win.

Thomas Stansfield made some crucial saves in goal and Sam Foster, dropping back to left back, helped stymie an enthusiastic Boothtown.

It was the 19th consecutive victory and should prove a pointer for the cup final when the two teams meet at the Shay next week.

Todmorden are all-out to secure the league and cup double and, in the process, go through a whole season winning every match.

THERE was little to separate Tod Sports u11s and their Warley Rangers counterparts, and certainly during the first period Tod were probably the better side.

They started brightly, and produced some good passing moves involving Rothwell, Pownall and England.

An early corner nearly brought a goal as Deakin’s header flew inches over. Seconds later Deakin’s fierce shot was superbly tipped over by the keeper.

It was then the turn of Tod’s keeper Luis Diggle, to pull off an excellent save – diving low to his right to turn the ball round the post.

Tod defended well throughout the game. A well-disciplined back line of Christdoulou, Spensley, Sheehan and Borrill kept Warley at bay – with Borrill calmly clearing off the line at one point.

Just before the break, Tod were undone once again from a set-piece – an in-swinging corner fooled everyone and bounced over the line.

In the second half, Warley grew in confidence, but Tod battled well.

Morrison, Ormerod and Gray worked hard in the middle of the park to create opportunities. Eventually Tod got a deserved equaliser when Pritchard rode a few tackles to roll the ball towards the empty net. Caldwell, following through, ensured that the ball crossed the line.

Warley were then awarded a penalty, but Diggle capped an excellent display by saving the spot kick and then the rebound.

His distribution throughout the match was excellent, and he also had to storm out twice to thwart the visiting strikers as Warley continued to apply the pressure.

It eventually took a quality goal to get past him. A perfectly crossed ball was headed back across the goalmouth giving him no chance.

Tod played well, although they perhaps ran out of steam towards the end, but they did not really deserve to lose this contest.