Junior football weekend round-up

A TRIPLE hat trick gave Saints Tigers u13 victory over HAFC.

Tigers were without their top scorer but a reshaped attack linked together superbly.

After falling behind early on Tigers were soon in front and raced to a 2-5 lead.

HAFC always looked dangerous and grabbed two goals late in the half to make it 4-5 at the break.

Tigers re-established their three goal advantage with Alasdair Pedley completing the first of the team’s three hat tricks.

Yet with 10 minutes to go, HAFC were level at 7-7 and could have been ahead had not a mud-covered Dan Davie made two fine one-handed saves.

Tigers made the game safe when Martin Howard grabbed his third and Jacob Whitehead completed the Tigers’ triple hat-trick.

A DETERMINED performance saw Todmorden Sports Centre u13s march into the semi-finals of the cup and maintain their 100 per cent record for the season.

Greetland packed their defence, but the breakthrough came after 20 minutes when Benjamin Pearson converted a penalty to take his season’s tally to 28 goals.

The midfield of Jack Pearson, Christopher Reeder, Jack Denton and Sam Foster worked hard in the muddy conditions and were rewarded when Jack Pearson scored from close range.

Henry Antemes escaped the shackles of several players mid-way through the second half to make the game safe.

On a rare foray Greetland pulled one back, but with minutes remaining Sam Foster fired home to seal a deserved win.

It was the third time this season Greetland have lost to Todmorden by the same score line.

THE game began with a spirited show from Crossley Juniors and they were soon ahead with a volleyed goal.

But Hebden Bridge Saints Penguins u11 responded minutes later with an assured strike by Alfi Coup.

Neither team relented with the weather and pitch deteriorating.

The visitors dominated the half and were unlucky with a few missed chances but both teams managed to create another goal each before half-time.

Hebden came out after the break with a more focused attacking game and Ted Vile twice had shots saved.

Crossleys had a couple of near misses before Hebden tightened things up.

Ruben Sugarman went close, but moments later sent the ball over the keeper’s head to give Hebden the lead.

Crossleys confidence seemed to suffer and another goal came when the keeper failed to hold the ball in the muddy conditions with a second goal coming for Coup.

The visitors began to fight back but Hebden battled on and Joey Gwilliam made it 5-2.

HEBDEN Bridge Saints A and S u10 fought hard to come from behind twice in a game between two well-matched teams.

The visitors made the early running with Oliver Sirmond twice coming close. At the other end the A and S defence reduced the Gold forwards to long-range efforts which were dealt with by keeper Xavier Tetteroo-Smith.

In the second half A and S passed the ball well but Gold opened the scoring from a goalmouth scramble and the home side could have gone further ahead but for two fine saves by Tetteroo-Smith.

A and S stuck at it and were rewarded on 25 minutes as Sirmond cut in from the left and found the net with a solo effort.

A rare defensive lapse let Gold in for a second but man of the match Sirmond beat the keeper to score direct from a corner and secure a deserved draw.

SAINTS Scorpions u10 faced a stiff task against high-flying Colts, but started brightly.

A goalmouth melee gave a chance for Gabriel Dean, who had a fine game, to stab the ball home.

Moments later a well-placed corner from Scorpions’ man-of-the-match, Edward Ludlam, allowed Jake Blackhurst to power home a header.

Thomas Robinson then scored with a low shot from the right.

Joshua Knight was breaking up the Colts’ attacks in midfield, and it was a superb pass from him that set Robinson up for his second goal.

At 4-0 Scorpions appeared to be cruising, but Colts pulled a goal back through a good individual effort and then struck the crossbar.

Scorpions had to withstand a determined onslaught in the second half.

A freak goal was conceded, but they held on thanks to some alert goalkeeping by Khalid Ayub.

For the second week Tod SC u7s had to come from behind, this time from a two-goal deficit.

They began to claw their way back into the game and two goals from Joseph Hobbs and another from Isaac Sewell sent them into half-time one up.

The second half started with TSC on the attack and Jake Lee added a fourth goal.

Two minutes later Hobbs completed his hat trick with a headed goal.

Sewell scored his second to make it six, but then came the goal of the game. Sewell beat two defenders, exchanged passes with Hobbs and crossed for Lee to finish it off.

Lightcliffe got back into the game scoring two more more goals to make the score 7- 4, but Olly Patrick finished the game off with a cool finish to end any hopes of a Lightcliffe comeback.

Previous fixtures between Hebden Bridge Tigers u11s and Tod Sports Centre u11s have always produced entertaining games – and this was no exception.

It was a frantic affair from beginning to end - strongly contested.

Having already hit the bar in the opening exchanges, Hebden scored first, a well-taken goal from a player sliding in to meet a cross.

Both sides looked dangerous on the attack. A shot from Oisin Pritchard was cleared off the line. Thomas Pownall reacted to a loose ball and steered a shot through the crowded area to equalise just before the break.

In the opening 10 minutes of the second period, Hebden were twice caught cold by the pace of Pritchard. The first time he rounded the keeper before slotting home. Minutes later he got his second in similar fashion.

The spirited home side never gave up, and were rewarded with a fantastic strike to make it 2-3.

Both sides went close in the closing stages, but Tod were relieved to hear the final whistle.

TSC WASPS went ahead in the opening seconds when striker Alex Mather slotted the ball past the Colts keeper.

Aiden Schofield beat three players before passing the ball to Mather for his second.

He completed his hat trick moments later.

Harrison Calvert’s clever back heel hit the post and then Wasps took their foot off the gas.

The second half started brightly again for the Wasps and in a swift break Max Duffy got a well taken goal.

The goal of the day was scored by Mather with a shot into the top corner.

Wasps allowed Colts a final flurry and grabbed a consolation goal late on. Good defending from Nathan Firth and Thomas Barker ensured that no further goals were conceded and Max Duffy added a sixth goal with the last kick of the game.