Junior footbsall round-up

SOME of the highlights of last weekend’s fixtures.

Crossley Juniors Under 12s 0

Todmorden took their first step towards retaining their hold of the cup.

The visitors created several early chances which were dealt with by Thomas Stansfield in goal.

A through-ball fell to Benjamin Pearson who slotted home in style before Henry Antemes doubled the lead.

Sam Foster made several runs deep in Crossley’s half and Callum Bailey was strong in the tackle.

It remained close but Benjamin Pearson scored again near the end.

Alec Hodkinson was chosen as man of the match by the visitors with Charlie Mariani runner-up.

Todmorden Borough U14 1

Greetland Goldstars U14 3

An average Borough were undone by a much improved side.

Greetland started much the better, passing tfluidly.

Borough could not get into the swing of the passing they are capable of.

Cameron Sutcliffe, George Hodkinson, Alfie Farrington and McCauley Young to keep check of their opponents.

Borough’s resistance was broken just before half-time when a Greetland shot wrong-footed Borough’s keeper.

In the second half s Greetland controlled the game and stormed into a three-goal lead with two well placed finishes.

Borough looked more lively after a tactical change, moving centre back Alfie Farrington to the left side of midfield.

The tactic prevailed when Borough pulled back a consolation goal through Jacob Dobson.

Hebden Bridge Saints Tigers U12 4

Warley Magpies Whites U12 8

The scoreline did not do justice to this Calderdale Cup tie which was only decided in the final minutes.

In the first minute Sam Thompson lobbed the goalkeeper and the early lead soon doubled as he added a second.

Warley pulled one back, but Tigers restored their two goal lead when Alasdair Pedley’s shot was cleared but Jack Crummett fired in the rebound.

Within a minute of the start of the second half it was 3-2 after Tigers failed to clear a goalmouth scramble. Despite a string of fine saves from man-of-the-match Dan Davie, Warley took a 3-4 lead.

Then Thompson intercepted a goal kick to equalise for his hat trick. Only in the final few minutes were Tigers beaten by a string of well hit long shots.

Todmorden Sports Centre U9s 4

Ryburn Juniors Reds U9s 1

Although Tod Sports dominated for long periods the Reds always looked dangerous on the break.

Sports’ Nicholson made his own good save to keep TSC in the match and the Ryburn keeper made numerous saves. A TSC breakaway led to Law’s opening goal, but Tod were not able to add to their lead.

In the second half Ryburn made a change of keeper and TSC got their reward when Jones headed into the Ryburn net.

Ryburn snatched a goal back with five minutes remaining.

However Tod responded with Law adding his second and Eatherall making a solo run for the fourth. In the closing minutes he also hit both posts and Law hit the crossbar.

TSC U11s 4

Hebden Bridge Saints U11s 1

TSC started in fine form against an up and coming Saints side.

In recent years the home team had generally had the better of the matches and this was no exception.

Tod pressurised the Saints and eventually Tansey broke the deadlock.

TSC continued to push and before the break Clarke scored a second after a goalmouth scramble.

The second half began with TSC pressing and a rebound from a clearance brought an excellent save, but the ball fell to Ashton who scored.

The Saints had their best spell of the game and pulled a goal back, but the match was sealed when Clarke scored his second.

Beacon Rangers U10s 1

Tod Sports Centre U10s 4

Todmorden eased themselves into the next round of the Shield with this comfortable victory.

Ben England set up Ben Cook for the opening goal.

Tod had to work hard to add to that goal. Eventually, after hitting the post, Dylan Caldwell finished well on the stroke of half-time.

In the second period a sweeping move, involving Joel Deakin and Caldwell, gave Cook a tap-in.

Todmorden were unlucky then, to lose another potential clean sheet to a dubious penalty call.

In response, Tod rattled the woodwork a further three times before Caldwell added the fourth.

TSC U7s Wasps 6

Northowram Rams U7s 3

Harrison Calvert continued where he left off last week and opened the scoring with a right footed strike.

Thomas Barker doubled the lead before the Rams replied with a deflected shot going past Aidan Schofield.

Alex Mather got the first of his four goals, but the Rams made it 3-2 just before half -ime.

In the second half Mather added two more goals to give the Wasps a three-goal cushion but again the Rams reduced the deficit to two.

With five minutes left Mather put the game beyond doubt to keep his side’s unbeaten run going.

Hebden Bridge Saints Penguins U10s 5

Greetland Goldstars 0

Penguins were raring to go after the success of the previous week.

The persistence of Joey Gwilliam in midfield was rewarded with a goal for an early lead lead.

Tom Holroyd doubled the score with a power drive. He got another goal soon after the break with Ted Vile scoring Penguins’ fourth.

Alfie Coup in goal dealt with a spell of pressure from Greetland.

Isaac Mitchell hammered the bar and then scored a typical striker’s goal poaching in the six-yard box.

Hebden Bridge Saints Girls U15 3

Battyeford Sporting Club 1

IN an all round team effort, Rosa Mason-Jones and Esmi Pimlott tormented the defence for the whole game both scoring with swift passing moves.

Cherylea Ellis, Rhiannon Healey, Olga Machado-Le-Gal and Sophie Bird repelled everything Battyeford threw at them.

Time after time the Saints swept forward with slick passing only to be thwarted by the keeper after another attack. When the defence failed to clear Amy Godden crashed the ball home.

Saints could have had a bigger winning margin if not for some bad luck and an excellent goalkeeper.

Northowram Rams U7s 3

TSC Tigers U7s 6

Rams proved a tough test coming back several times during the match but never quite fully able to stop a rampant Tigers team.

Lenny Sorrel opened the scoring for Tigers with Ashley Thomas scoring another hatrick.

Noah Priestley added a goal and Alex Thompson was awarded man of the match. His strong run took him the full length of the pitch to score.

Hebden Bridge Saints Girls U13 3

Norristhorpe Girls U13 0

There was a nervy feel to this game as the Saints struggled to make headway through a very compact Norristhorpe side.

The breakthrough came midway through the first half as Bethany Waring hit the first of her two goals.

Lisa Zhabina in goal was kept on her toes and needed the assistance of Sophie Lally, Rachel Littleboy and Hannah Kennedy, who eventually broke out in the second half to strike a long range effort into the top corner.

The Norristhorpe keeper had a great game, helping keep the score down.

Kiera Holmes, Charlotte Siddall and Issy Wharton battled away and there were good runs by Rhianna Purvis.