Junior teams in action

Share this article

TODMORDEN consolidated their lead at the top of the table despite a mediocre performance against an industrious Boothtown team.

The visitors started brightly and it took a breakaway goal from Benjamin Pearson, who ran almost the full length of the pitch, to settle Todmorden.

Boothtown equalised before half-time. Henry Antemes restored the lead but goalkeeper Thomas Stansfield was beaten when a long ball bounced unexpectedly high into the net.

Pearson was put through and, despite appeals for offside, scored.

The game became increasingly scrappy. With Boothtown in disarray Pearson completed his hat trick after the ball twice rebounded off the crossbar.

AN early goal by forward Harry Hazeltine got Todmorden’s newest team, Tornadoes, off to a good start against local rivals Hebden Bridge Saints.

A first half saw fine displays from defenders at both ends. Tornadoes goalie Jonathan Benson made a succession of saves helped keep the lead intact.

The Tornadoes played impressively on the break in the second half, with their hard work and defensive solidity paying off.

Eventually a second goal came for the Tornadoes, following a decisive run from winger Cameron Davey, and then some excellent team play, resulting in Hazeltine’s second.

An impressive weaving run by Saints number eight risked setting up a nervy finish for the home side but fine, last gasp tackling by defensive duo Archie Dewis and Isaac Hewson-Betts ensured a clean sheet.

THE game opened with end-to- end exchanges and the Todmorden team hit the post after five minutes.

Shortly afterwards a Scorpions’ defensive error allowed the Sports Centre to take the lead.

Sports Centre now asserted themselves, playing some good football, and it was no surprise when they went into a two-goal lead with a powerful long-range shot.

Scorpions looked down and out, but spirits revived when Dan. Bradshaw pulled a goal back.

Just before the break the home team drew level when Gabriel Read scored with a shot from close by the corner flag.

The second half saw no further goals but goalmouth action was furious at both ends.

The Todmorden team rattled the woodwork several times, but Scorpions almost stole the game after a brilliant run down the wing by man-of-the-match Callum Cushing.

IT was another tough game against a team from the higher division last year .

The first half started well and for 15 minutes the game was very even but a spell of five goals in 10 minutes really put the game out of reach.

Instead of giving in the boys came out in the second half and really played well Lewis M was outstanding in goal and pulled of some great saves.

The midfield worked so hard in the second half with non-stop effort.

A great move resulted in a great finish from the excellent Leon B to give the Tigers a well deserved goal.

AN away defeat facing a newly galvanized Crossley Swifts did not reflect a confident and spirited performance by Saints.

A well-placed early strike by a Reuben Sugarman was expertly saved by Swifts keeper.

Minutes later a well taken corner founds its man leading to an early Swifts goal.

Both teams continued to fight and Swifts all round game proved to be a tough nut to crack, Penguins keep chipping away leading to chances for both teams.

Ted Vile broke the stalemate with a goal toward the end of the first-half.

A Saints free-kick from the half way line went just wide seconds before the break.

Substitutions at half-time helped Saints midfield back into the game.

Swifts organisation paid dividends however with a great run up the wing and strike making it 2-1.

Saints had a setback when keeper Billy Duffy was injured, Alfie Coup took his place though with the rest of the team battling on, but determination from Swifts saw them grab two quick goals.

Saints refused to give up though and scored two great goals, the second being an accurate cross from Charlie Conway direct to Reuben Sugarman and grabbed but fumbled by Swifts keeper.

TOD Colts enjoyed a morning stroll when hammering St Columba’s at Ling Bob.

They flew out of the starting blocks and were two up in as many minutes courtesy of a double from striker Jacob Entwistle.

Man-of-the-match Ben Ormerod quickly added to the tally with two great strikes of his own before Sammy Crothers grabbed a brace to make it six at the interval.

The home team dug in deep and managed to pull one back after the restart, but Colts soon resumed their onslaught on the home goal and both Ormerod and Entwistle added two more each as they competed for top scorer.

Skipper Max Goldie added a fine solo goal to complete the scoring before Max Dawson almost broke the bar as he looked to get on the scoresheet.

THE phrase “a game of two halves” could have been written for the local derby between the Wasps and the Tigers Under 8s.

In the first half of this enthralling clash, the Wasps stormed into a three-goal half-time lead courtesy of a first minute penalty from Harrison Calvert, and two further strikes from Max Duffy.

It was a different story in the second half however, as some good passing football, resulting in two well taken goals from Ashley Thomas, put the Tigers within one goal of their neighbours.

Despite some frantic goalmouth action, the Tigers just could not find the equaliser their efforts deserved, and some resolute defending from the Wasps meant that they held on to make it two wins out of two so far this season.

TSC Under 10s put on a very creditable display away to local rivals Hebden Bridge Saints Scorpions and came away with a share of the points.

The defence worked hard and dealt largely comfortably with the home side’s attacks.

In midfield, Bragg, Thompson, Emery and Sorrell were all on top form and created plenty of problems for the Hebden defence.

Tod went ahead early on when good work out wide on the right from Sorrell ended with a cross into the box that Eatherall lifted over the keeper to put the visitors 1-0 up.

Minutes later TSC increased their lead when a corner was cleared, but fell nicely to Law who ran on to it and hit a the keeper could only palm into the side of his net.

Tod seemed to be in a very comfortable position, but Scorpions did not let their heads drop and came back into the game when moments later they got a goal back.

Nicholson could only parry a shot and it landed nicely at the feet of an onrushing attacker to poke the ball in from close range.

Shortly before half-time, a cross from the right deceived Nicholson and went in to level the scores.

The second half saw both sides create chances, with the visitors perhaps edging it on the number of chances created, but neither side could find a breakthrough.

BOROUGH started in a much more positive manner than previous weeks and although the first attack of the match came from Warley, the defence cleared.

Borough built up play out of defence and into midfield with some fantastic running from Hudson, Brown and Glover who pushed the ball up to Issitt and Jacques.

With a period of consistent attacks from Borough, a chance from to Jacques was well saved by the keeper.

The opening goal came when Glover picked up a loose ball in midfield, and with a one, two pass back from Jacques he found the net for the lead.

The second half started equally well for Borough with a goal from an corner taken quickly by Issitt, catching the defence out, to find Hudson with time to line up and hammer home.

The final Borough goal, started with a Hudson pass to Brown, who instantly found Issitt in space and ran on for the return ball which he placed out of reach of the keeper.

Warley did not give up and managed to pull two goals back, making for a very tense final few minutes.

SAINTS Girls continued their excellent start to the season with an outstanding away win at Battyeford, thanks to a hat trick from Striker Lola Foulger

Her first goal came in the 10th minute, a great shot from the edge of the box after a through pass by midfielder Lucy Hillier.

Saints played some good football. Rosie Bayliss contributed with some confident turns and non-stop running.

Niamh Haswell, Lily Williamson and Lucy Holt at the back put in a series of strong tackles and passed the ball around well.

Jess Corne in midfield displayed excellent ball control and passing.

Harriet Walton, as ever, had a safe pair of hands in net and kepther first clean sheet of the season.

The second goal came in the 57th minute, Foulger ever alert in the box, after the ball was pinging around, pounced on a final pass from Safia Touray.

The two combined again in the 60th minute, Foulger taking a a quick corner and exchanging passes with Touray, then firing in a low shot from a narrow angle, to complete her hat trick.

BINGLEY, who have had a 100 per cent start to the season, faced tough opposition from Saints Girls who were unlucky not to win a pulsating game.

Bingley have their Keeper to thank for keeping them in the game. She pulled off a string of amazing saves including two from the penalty spot.

Bingley took the lead early in the game but Safia Touray equalised in the 17th minute with a shot in to the top corner off the net from the edge of the box after a great pass from Lucy Hillier.

Three minutes later Touray made it 2-1 after a neat one two with Ellie Waring.

They went further ahead with what the manager described as the best goal of the season. The move started at the back with Ellie Smith passing to Jess Corne who set Lola Foulger free on the right. Foulger curled a beautiful cross into Ellie Waring who scored at the second attempt.

Bingley were tough opposition and some complacency set in with Saints girls who conceded two quick goals to the league leaders.

However just before the half-time whistle Saints had a chance to take the lead again when a penalty was awarded for handball.

The keeper made a good save from Waring’s kick and the rebound was fired over the bar

The second half continued in the same fashion. Touray stepped up to the penalty spot, hoping to complete a hat trick, but the keeper saved.

Saints continued to work tirelessly Lucy Hillier was superb on the wing taking on and beating Bingley players with ease. Ellie Smith, player of the match, and Niamh Haswel were sound at the back and keeper Harriet Walton, when called in to action made a couple of fine saves.