Junior tournament - under 10s

AS hosts of the Mini-Soccer tournament at Calder High School, Hedben Bridge Saints Sharks under-10s came up against Todmorden Sports Centre in the first game of their tournament.

After what was an even first few minutes, Todmorden’s Joel Deakin had the first effort on goal from just outside the area, which went over the bar.

It was not long before the scoring was opened however,

Ben England’s shot from the right of the penalty area went straight into the bottom left-hand corner of the net to give Todmorden the lead.

The lead was extended midway through the match thanks to a long-range shot from forward Jordan Rothwell. Sharks were not willing to give up though, and pushed players forward in search of goals.

Owen McCondach was unlucky not to beat the Todmorden ‘keeper to a loose ball when he found himself free.

Ben England finished the scoring just before the whistle, taking advantage of space and a neat through ball to make it 3-0.

An improved peformance in game two of the competition saw the Sharks hold Ryburn United Blacks for almost half of the match thanks to some great defending.

The highlight was a fantastic double save from Connor Martin in the Sharks’ goal.

Soon after, though, Ryburn Blacks took the lead after a great solo run from Cameron Tyer saw him one-on-one with Martin who could do nothing to stop the Blacks this time.

That goal looked like it was going to be the descisive score too as Ryburn struggled to find the net again. Josh Finch shooting wide on a couple of occasions.

However, the Sharks did concede again after the referee harshly awarded a penalty to Ryburn for a handball in the area by Sharks midfielder, Jacob Gogoley.

Eager to make for emends at the other end of the pitch, Gogoley was unlucky not to score for the home side after a Luke Safer corner found its way to him in the box and his flick went just wide of the left post.

On the whole, the Sharks should be proud of the efforts they made over their four games in the tournament despite losing their final group game to a very strong Crossleys side 7-0 and again being beaten by the same scoreline in the knock-out phase by Group A winners, Parkinson Lane.

Saints’ other under-10s side the Penguins also made a great effort in the tournament with their goalkeeper, Billy Duffy, making a number of important saves throughout his sides three group games - two of which ended scoreless.

They were also unlucky to exit the competion at the quarter-final stage, conceding a last-minute goal.