Juniors back in action, where they could!

Share this article

AFTER almost two months without a match, a switch to HAFC’s Old Earth ground enabled Saints’ Tigers u13 game to go ahead on a weekend when most were postponed.

Both teams were showing the effects of long lay-offs but there was some good play by both sides.

Defences took a while to settle and it was soon 2-2. Tigers opened the scoring after only a minute when Martin Howard fired in a strong shot from the right corner of the box.

HAFC were soon in front from a neat glancing near post header and then a strong shot for 2-1 only to see Tigers level again with Jacob Whitehead turning in a Sam Thompson cross.

Tigers took the lead again with the move of the match. Centre back Connor Birch cleared from near his own area to Alasdair Pedley whose through ball found Peterson to fire past the keeper. Minutes later it was 2-4 as good short passing left Pedley free to slide the ball in.

HAFC drew level once more with goals each side of the break and a tight second half ensued.

With only a few minutes left Thompson volleyed Tigers ahead from a Peterson cross only to see HAFC equalise soon after and the game ended, perhaps appropriately, in a draw.

BOTH sides gave everything in this Calderdale Cup-tie between Hebden Bridge A and S and Beacon Rangers u10s. The hosts went ahead in the first minute and could have quickly doubled their lead but for keeper Xavier Tetteroo-Smith managing to push a goal-bound shot on to the post.

A and S rallied were level on five minutes as Harry Ryan fired home from close range, but Beacon struck next with an angled drive in off the post.

A and S were making more of the play and by half-time had turned the tables with two quick goals, the second from a passing move between Alexei King and Oliver Sirmond setting up an easy tap-in.

In the second half but both defences held firm until a close-range shot from King bounced off the keeper for A and S to gain a two-goal cushion.

Rangers pressed hard but the A and S defence held their shape with man of the match Jordan Haworth showing great composure on the ball, and Xavier-Smith making some crucial blocks.

The home side did eventually find the net to keep themselves in the match and set up an anxious last five minutes, but it was A and S who had the final say striking home from a free kick on the stroke of time to see themselves safely through to the next round.

ANOTHER strong team performance saw Todmorden Borough Blacks beat Warley Blues 6-0 to take them through to the next round of the cup.

The opening goal came early half when Noah Hudson found Jordan Glover in space to hammer the ball home.

Borough got another goal before half time when Jack Jacques chipped the keeper from a distance.

Early in the second half Jacques ran along the right wing before placing the ball neatly past the keeper for his second.

Other opportunities fell to Hudson, Glover, Callum Issitt and Ben Gledhill but Warley’s defence fought them off.

Ben Gledhill scored the fourth when he found himself perfectly positioned to receive a fantastic pass from Jordan Glover.

A precision pass from Hudson saw Issitt place the fifth home for Borough.

A sixth goal came from a great Gledhill cross.