Late goal leaves Boro with just a point

editorial image

Askham United 3

Todmorden Borough 3

West Lancashire League Division Two

After a longer lay-off than most, Todmorden Borough came away with a draw from a trip to the seaside.

Despite the conditions and playing about 50 yards from the Irish Sea the visitors found themselves with an excellent playing surface and enjoyed a good game of football.

On their travels yet again and with a certain amount of rustiness Borough came away disappointed after conceding an equalising goal in injury time.

Borough had been hanging on for some time after Daniel Skwarek was sent off for pulling down a home attacker when he was the last man.

Fortunately goalkeeper Jamie Shackleton was on hand to make a great save from the resulting free kick on the edge of the box.

Then just before the final whistle he was called upon again from another free kick.

This time the ball was deflected and the keeper had to pull off a fine stop to prevent a goal, but he had no chance in the ensuing goalmouth scramble as the home side forced it into the net.

Borough’s management team were pleased with the performance but disappointed only to draw the game after a good display against a team who had recently strengthened their side and were far better than their league status indicates.

Both sides produced good football despite the blustery wind coming off the sea, but Borough were first to concede after about five minutes.

They were caught napping and flat-footed from a free kick on their left and a home attacker nipped in behind to take the ball and slot it home.

They were quick to fight back and within five minutes were level.

Oliver Gilford gathered a the ball from a cross from the left and stuck it in the bottom left corner of the net.

The conditions then took a hand to put Borough behind again.

Jamie Shackleton came to collect a floated free kick from the left but a sudden gust of wind took the ball from his reach and into the net as he scrambled for it.

Borough were not deterred however and with man of the match Chris Kay and James Pevoy combining well on the right they came back strongly.

Another move between the pair resulted in a cross which Dean Farry chested down at the back post and put away well to leave the sides level at 2 - 2 at half-time.

Early in the second period Kay was again the supplier with a cross which Oliver Wood met and headed powerfully into the home net to give the visitors the lead for the first time..

Borough were on top but were caught out with a ball over the top which led to Skwarek making the challenge which gave him his marching orders.

Borough them had to reshuffle their system.

As the home side threw everything at them they hung on and withstood the pressure. They had chances themselcves in that period.

The best two fell to sub Terry Lowe, but he put one just wide before bringing a fine save out of the home keeper.

As the final whistle loomed it looked as if Borough would hang on, but hope was denied with the goal in injury time.