Mytholmroyd lose out in snooker final

Share this article

Mytholmroyd B lost to Pellon A in the final of the Calder Valley Snooker League team knockout.

The final, at the Pennine Club, Hebden Bridge, was played to an aggregate of four frames.

First to play was P.Copley (Mytholmroyd) against P.Spencer (Pellon).

The first half of this frame was very close with both players playing some good safety play. Spencer won the frame by 39 points.

Next to play was J.Haughey (Mytholmroyd) against M.Walker (Pellon).

Both players were potting some good balls but Haughey won this frame and reduced his team arrears to 23 points.

Next was B Britton (Mytholmroyd) against J Walker (Pellon), who won this frame with some excellent potting including a break of 28, which put his team in front with an aggregate score of plus 81, in a captain’s performance.

The final frame between J.Senior (Mytholmroyd) and G.Roberts (Pellon) was always going to be an uphill struggle for the Mytholmroyd player as they were so far behind in the aggregate.

With Roberts also starting strongly Senior conceded his frame with several reds left on the table.

The president of the Calder Valley Snooker league Tommy McBride thanked the Pennine Club for hosting the final and the referee, S Hanrahan, and congratulated both teams on reaching the final. He presented the trophy to Pellon A.

l THE final of the Calder Valley Snooker League Pairs knockout is on Friday (8pm) at the Pennine Club All welcome.

l THE inaugural annual snooker match between a Halifax Select XI and Huddersfield Proboards XI was played over 10 frames at Marsh Liberal Club with both sides fielding the strongest teams available.

First up for the Calder Valley side was Jeff Anderson who was soundly beaten.

The visitors levelled with a solid display from former professional Johnny Gallagher who made two good breaks.

The next two frames were shared when Ian Waller for Halifax lost on the pink and Mike Whaley eventually prevailed in a very cagey frame.

Huddersfield went 3-2 up when Jason Hellowell was soundly beaten.

The Calder Valley side went further behind with defeats for Ian Wilcock and Paul Lindsay to make it 5-2 up.

Calder then played Omar Butt who showed his class and technique to pull one back for the visitors.

Away side captain and joint organiser Rick Needham then made some really big shots under pressure to put the visitors within one. Then Saghir Sharif sealed an unlikely 5-5 draw.

A return leg has already been arranged for August 5 in the Calder Valley at a venue to be announced.