Dominant Heath frustrated

Beverley v Heath'Chris Piper
Beverley v Heath'Chris Piper

Heath had to settle for a losing bonus point in a frustrating 19-13 defeat at Beverley in Yorkshire One.

Dave Harrison’s men, playing at the East Yorkshire venue for the first time in several years, bossed possession and territory in the second half but only had one converted try to show for it.

They ultimately paid for early defensive lapses in a very abrasive encounter which produced several injuries.

Luke Saltonstall returned on the wing and Eddie Cartwright at fly half. Olly Cook, Alex McFadden and Cameron Ramsden were on the bench.

The visitors got off to the worst possible start when an attack broke down, Beverley pounced on a loose ball and ran it three quarters of the length of the field to score a converted try under the posts after two minutes.

Two minutes later, Jordan Bradbrook saved a certain try when Beverley broke again. The signs were ominous but Heath were awarded a penalty and cleared.

Matt Beasty won lineout ball and good work from the pack enabled Ezra Hinchliffe to kick to touch on the Beverley 22.

The Heath pack was in complete control and No 8 Richard Brown went close to scoring.

A Beverley prop was sin-binned and Chris Moore was held just short as the hosts tackled brilliantly under severe pressure. On 15 minutes, Hinchliffe kick a penalty to reduce the deficit.

From the re-start, Brown and scrum half Dom Walsh linked well to set up Heath’s next attack. However, Beverley were showing how to make a break and on 28 minutes they scored a second try. The conversion hit a post but Beverley led 12-3.

Moore was sin-binned but Beverley gave away a penalty and Hinchliffe made it 12-6 on 30 minutes.

Cook came on for Ben Maxwell as Beverley increased the pressure and Beasty was next to the sin-bin. With Heath down to 13, Beverley moved the ball from side to side and eventually scored a under the posts. The kick made it 19-6.

Beverley went straight on the attack in the second half but great work from Maxwell prevented a certain try.

Several Heath players suffered knocks in the second period, including Cartwright, Cook, Moore and Piper, meaning plenty of changes.

Hinchliffe missed a penalty but Heath were beginning to over-power their hosts and push for a try.

Piper and Brown both charged towards the line and Heath were unable to take advantage of a scrum five metres out in front of the Beverley posts.

Constant drives from Heath failed to pay dividends as Beverley continued to tackle.

With only a few minutes remaining, Hinchliffe shot through a gap to score a deserved try under the posts. His conversion clinched the bonus point.