Rishworthians beaten in final

Yorkshire Shield final'Rishworthians v Scarborough'Sam Bake scores
Yorkshire Shield final'Rishworthians v Scarborough'Sam Bake scores

It was a step too far for Old Rishworthians, who lost 41-27 to Scarborough in yesterday’s Yorkshire Shield final at Hull Ionians.

Their depleted side put on a brilliant second half performance but could not overhaul the seasiders, who have gained promotion from Yorkshire One.

Missing seven regulars through injuries and unavailability, the Copley side went into the game in confident mood against their divisional rivals and started well with an early penalty from Josh Kelly.

But Scarborough’s stand off James Perret and centre Tom Ratcliffe took charge and soon set their side on the road to victory.

At 33-10 down it looked all over for Rishworthians but they came back brilliantly and got to within one score of Scarborough before their opponents broke away to clinch victory with a try in the corner.

Player coach Chris Stone praised his players for their efforts. “Unfortunately we let ourselves down early in the first half. All credit to Scarborough though. We knew how they would play, but we were unable to stop it.

“To go into a final missing a lot of players is always difficult, but the lads, who came in, especially the younger ones, were all great.

“Now we have to build on the great season we have had and do even better next,” said Stone.

After Kelly’s penalty Scarborough hit back with a converted try as their backs tore through the Rishworthians defence. A mix-up at the back of a scrum brought another converted try and Rishworthians were 14-3 down.

Rishworthians hit back when centre Ben Sutcliffe broke through. Kelly almost got over before the pack took it on and flanker Nick Faulkner dived over. Kelly added the conversion.

There was some great play from Faulkner and lock Richard Bullough before Scarborough broke through again to score a try, despite a great tackle by teenage fullback Sam Bake, who had an outstanding game.

The Scarborough backs then came through again to add a fourth converted try and make it 26-10 at half time.

Soon after the restart Faulkner put in a strong run and made a great off-load to fellow flanker Gerard Rollins, who put Sutcliffe away but he was stopped short.

When a Scarborough kick through and a lucky bounce brought another converted try it looked all over for Rishworthians.

Instead they came back brilliantly. Left wing Anthony Shoesmith and Bake almost got in on the right, before Shoesmith got back to his left wing position to take the final long pass from Kelly to score in the corner.

Bake then put in another telling run and linked with outstanding prop Harry Whitfield to take play close to the line. The forwards took it on and Bullough forced his way over.

Bake completed a fine game with a try converted by Kelly and suddenly Rishworthians were within a converted score of winning the trophy.

They could not break through again, however, and a penalty to Scarborough put the game out of Rishworthians’ reach. A further Scarborough try in the last minute sealed their victory.