Three goal start is too much for Woodhouse to make up

WOODHOUSE United crashed to their first defeat of the season after a disastrous first half.

They found themselves bullied out of it as the home side ran up a 3 – 0 half-time lead.

The Todmorden side came back strongly in the second half and almost snatched at least a draw as they bombarded their opponents’ goal.

Manager Simon Randles summed it up: “You cannot afford to give anybody three goals start and then expect to come back and win.”

Woodhouse still remain top of the division although their lead has been cut, but on Sunday they will have to regain their form when they travel to rivals Asia.

It was that form that deserted them in the first half and it started after only 11 minutes as a home forward found himself unopposed after a cross and found the net.

After 23 minutes Woodhouse were rooted to the spot as another home goal went in and 15 minutes later they conceded again after giving the home side too much time on the ball.

To make matters worse Mathew Town went off injured.

But things changed in the second half, which Woodhouse completely dominated after bringing on Joe Whitham and Callum Hallahan for Craig Vest and Seb Piper. Fifteen minutes into the half Mark Walters on the right played the ball through for Hallahan to score. Three minutes later Walters was again the provider for Oliver Wood to get Woodhouse’s second.

The visitors then battered the home goal, but could not get the ball in the net although Harry Whitehead hit the post and Terry Lowe the bar.

GEORGE started the game nervy as Joe Connor gave an early penalty away, which stand-in goalkeeper Darrell Rhodes saved.

George then upped the tempo and got forward in numbers with chances for Connor, Jackson Sutcliffe and Jonny Sutcliffe.

The midfield pairing of Kev Sutliffe and James Staroczcuk combined well. with Chris Ford and Gav Higgins keeping the visitors at bay.

In the second half Jackson Sutcliffe bagged another brace and a well worked goal saw Gaz Lawrence make it 3-0.

The visitors piled on the pressure and Connor redemed himself as he cleared a looping header off the line.

George were caught on the break as the visitors scored.

George are still in search for a manager after the previous manager left days before the start of the season.