Two from two as Borough win away

Dean Farry
Dean Farry

IT’S two from two for Todmorden Borough’s new look team after their first away success.

It was always going to be a tough task at Whinney Hill, but Borough dug and hung on to stay top of West Lancashire League Division Two.

Oliver Wood scored in each half to give the visitors victory with the home side netting from the spot after what appeared a rather dubious penalty decision.

After turning on the style last week Borough had to grind out victory this time against a tough uncomprising home side, who were continually snapping at their heels.

The game boiled over late in the second half after what appeared to be a head butt on Dean Farry went unpunished.

It ended with yellow cards for each side and Borough had to hang on to take the victory as the home side fought desperately to salvage a point.

Borough found themselves under early pressure, but Harry Whitehead and James Peavoy were solid at the heart of the defence.

They fought back and rather against the run of play broke away to go ahead.

After good work on the right by Dave Patrick, Wood got the ball in the middle, rounded the keeper and slotted it home.

The home side had a couple of chances to equalise and Daniel Lively rattled the crossbar, but there was no further score before the break.

The second half started in much the same vein as the first.

But the home side equalised from a penalty, although there had hardly seemed any contact.

Undeterred, Borough hit back within two minutes.

A Mathew Town free kick was headed on by Farry and Wood was there at the back post to nod it in.

It inspired Borough who started to play with renewed confidence until the fracas. Wood and Patrick had chances as Borough battled away to the end.

They face a new challenge next week when they have to get themselves together after a three-hour trip to Furness Rovers.

l BOROUGH reserves went down 4 - 3 at home to Hesketh Bank on Saturday.

They had the best chances but went in at the break trailing 2 - 1, their goal coming from Dave Kay.

Sloppy defending saw them leak a further two goals before fighting back with two of their own from Jordan Mirza and Steve Barker. They fought hard for the equaliser but ran out of time.

l THERE was better news for the reserves from their game on Monday night.

They picked up their first point of the season with a draw away to Bolton County.

In a very even game, Todmorden took the lead about 30minutes into the first half.

An excellent chip by Andy Cooper cannoned off the bar for Jim Crowther to hit a half volley into the net.

In the second half Bolton pushed Todmorden back as they tried to draw level.

The visitors were reduced to 10 men after two yellow cards with about 30 minutes left. Todmorden kept them out until the last five minutes when they drew level.

Every player battled hard to gain the point, and were disappointed they could not hang on to all three.