Drugs warning after teenager dies on night out
Police have issued a warning after a 19-year-old woman died after taking drugs on a night out.ã€€
Shortly after 3am on Tuesday, officers were contacted by staff at St James’s Hospital after the woman was brought in by ambulance in a critical condition.
She had been taken ill in Pryzm nightclub in Leeds city centre and was helped outside by a friend before door staff became aware and called the club’s medical staff to assist.
The woman underwent emergency treatment in hospital but was pronounced dead later that morning.
The initial findings of a post mortem examination have shown that she died as a result of hyperthermia and complications due to MDMA toxicity.
A 19-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of a Class A drug and has since been released on police bail pending further enquiries.
Detective Inspector Phil Jackson, of Leeds District CID, said: “This young woman’s family are completely devastated at her death in such sudden and tragic circumstances and we are doing everything we can to support them at this difficult time.
“From our enquiries so far it appears she has taken the Class A drug MDMA, also known as ecstasy, in powdered form and has been taken ill shortly afterwards in the nightclub.
“We are awaiting the outcome of further tests but at this stage it does appear she has died as a result of a reaction to the drug.
“We therefore feel it is important to highlight her death and warn other people who may be considering taking MDMA powder, or anything that is being sold as that, about the potential risks to their health.
“Clearly consuming any illegal drug carries a risk to health and we would always advise people against it but we would we ask that people are particularly conscious of the risks following this young woman’s death.
“The Coroner has been informed and we are continuing to investigate the circumstances. We would like to hear from anyone who has any information that could assist the investigation or who has any information about MDMA powder being sold.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact Leeds District CID via 101 quoting log number 166 of July 26 or call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Anyone who wants information, help and advice about drugs can talk to Frank, by contacting 0300 123 6600, texting 82111.